Re: [doc] New Ford with gull-wing doors

The Avantime is an amazing car, and one that was produced true to the
concept it came from - the VelSatis is another matter, its nothing
like the concept car that bore its name (still a nice car though).
There are many 'stories' and 'reasons' why the Avantime project was
pulled - yes, they didn't sell very fast, but Renault never really
expected it would be a vast volume car, and at 30K (yes my Avantime
was 30K) it never was likely to be a mass produced car. Matra
automobile who produced the 'Avi' also built the previous models of
Espace, when the plug was pulled on the Avantime project, Renault and
Matra were apparantly approached by Ford (USA)who wanted Matra to
continue producing a version of the previous model Espace (not the new
steel version) with a Ford badge for sale in the States - Renault
agreed, but Matra refused and shut the plant (go figure).
A reason I was given for the Avantime project being cancelled (a
member of the Avantime Club EU that I am a member of is a very senior
Renault employee) was that the new Espace, being a steel body car
unlike all its predecessors was to be built internally by Renault,
however, the contract with Matra still had 2 yrs to run so it was
decided to give Matra the Avantime to build (which otherwise may not
have ever been built) until the contract with Matra expired as it
would be cheaper than the legal costs of terminating the contract
early. So, if that is the case (who knows) then Renault probably never
intended it to be made for more than the 2 yrs (ish) it was produced
for. In the end they got a concept car on the road, a lot of publicity
and thats always good for business.
Taking into account all the development costs and engineering
equipment costs etc etc, it has been estimated that it cost Renault
approx. £100K to build each car!! the break-even point was 30,000 cars
at the 30k retail price, and only 5000 approx were made.

It's not everybody's 'cup-of-tea' - but no 'different' car ever is, I
get every sort of comment imaginable - from the 'wow, thats the most
awesome car' to - 'that car fell out of the ugly tree - and hit every
branch on the way down'.
I love the 'Avi', it's different, it's fast, it's fully loaded, it's
superb to drive, and it turns a good number of heads (not as much as
the D of course), she's #51 of only 445 UK RHD cars and even rarer
than the DeLorean. In a few years time I'm sure I'll be taking her to
shows as well !

BTW - the Paris development part of Matra was bought by Pininfarina
and  developing a car called the 'Enjoy' (awful name), if they do
build this (or any other high-end car) in the future and badge it as a
Matra - then would anybody care to guess what my M4TRA plate on the
Avantime will be worth :-)

So, who likes this - the Pininfarina (Matra) enjoy -
http://tinyurl.com/b6kab

Phill W
DOC 233
VIN 6772(sorbet)
Avantime (M4TRA)
SERA (16075, Phase III, and the rarest production colour!)

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mike Sumner <mikebmw316@xxxx> wrote:
> The reason the Renault Avantime had such a limited production run
was because sales figures were extremely disappointing and as a result
Renault pulled it.

> I'm not the worlds biggest fan of the current styling of the Megane
which seems to have been started by the Avantime and Vel Satis, but
juding by the number of people that thought thay should fork out the
£20 something grand for the car I'm not alone.

> Regards,

> Mike Sumner - 178
> 1999 BMW E36 Coupe
>

> Mike Bosworth <mike.bosworth@xxxx> wrote:
> Yes and time and time again i see these 'fantastic' concept cars....
> i have yet to see one go into production with all... or even many of
> the features they show...... I still like the car PhilW has the
> Renault Avantime... amazes me why it had such a limited production
> run judging by its 'replacement'.... shame....:(
>
> Regards
>
> Mike
> #2001/403
>
> --- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
> > Yet another car misses the point of gullwing doors *sigh*
> >
> > Every time I see images of concepts like this I get the distinct
> > impression they were added by the art department rather than the
> engineers.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > Mike Machin wrote:
> >
> > > Hi gang!
> > >
> > > Check this out - the new Ford prototype has gull-wing doors!
> > > http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=12903
> > >
> > > Puts me in mind of those drawings for the DeLorean prototype
> family car.
> > >
> > > Cheers for now,
> > > Mike
> > > DOC 454
> > > VINLESS
> > > North Devon, UK
>

> DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk
> ** Unless otherwise stated, all messages posted to the group are
assumed public and may be printed in the club magazine **

Service.