From: Elvis Nocita [mailto:elvisnocita@xxxx]
Sent: 23 September 2002 21:08
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: AW: [DML] Door lock module & Fire

Hi folks,

you're right, I repaired about 10 Door lock modules and each of them had
worn and burned relay contacts. And the relays are also the reason why the
selenoids burn and therfore the power door lock system fails.
If you wanna do something good for your car and its battery, simply replace
4 parts of the module and the current consumption during standby is lowered
about more than 90% !!!! During stanby the module draws 13mA just to check
the switch inside the door if the selenoids shall be activated or not. New
sytems in cars are developed to draw less than some few micro amps during
standby, that's about 1/1000 what that door lock module draws !
Anyone who knows a little about electronics can do this modification which
is invisible from outside. Send me an email if you're interested, I will get
you the plans in a (not only by me) readable version. The parts cost less
than one dollar and it takes 15 minutes with getting the beer from the
fridge to replace everything.
I also developed a simple solution to protect the selenoids from burning
when the relay contacts stick together. After 5 seconds this little tiny
item reduces the current from about 10Amps to some hundred mA ! You will
only recognize that the relais stick when youre doors don't lock anymore.
But then your selenoid still are ok, while without that part you will have
to replace the windings inside the selenoids. By the way, a boring job.

Drop me a line if interested

Elvis & 6548