Re: [doc] Being taken advantage of!!! (long)

Hawsey-Babey wrote:
>Dave Howarth had this problem years ago, he supplied >his 1200 mile Arizona car for a >professionally photographed studio session,
>for a book...the final printed copy of the book contained their own
>additional snide snippets such as 'the doors never worked properly' or
>something like that.

That book was written by none other than our favourite Quentin; itâs called âThe Ultimate Classic Car Bookâ. For those of you who actually own a copy of that book, you'll know what a load of rubbish the DeLorean entry is (although the pictures are nice!). My question to Quentin would have to be: âWhy include a car with supposedly non-working doors in a book about the best classic cars in the world?!â

There's a lot to be said on both sides of the âpress controlâ argument really. Yes, it is blatantly unfair that untruths are created about the car and company. One thing that baffles me is this whole Â85mil issue. Someone please set me straight on this if Iâm wrong. I was always under the impression that the big financial scandal was that DMC (the company) chewed through all this government/taxpayers money, yet still managed to go bust. But if you talk to Joe Bloggs, HEâLL be under the impression that JZD put the whole Â85mil into his back pocket! Okay, so he paid himself a huge wage, but the money WENT INTO THE COMPANY. I'm not saying it was perhaps spent correctly, but JZD certainly didn't steal it all! I think it's this "bank-robbery" style slant on the financial side of the story that people get so wrong, largely thanks to the press.

However, as Chrispy says, maybe all of these negative shows will prompt someone to look at the DOC website and discover (through the club) the truth about these cars. Letâs face it, weâre not going to be able to turn the tide of opinion round in the space of a few positive TV shows. Even after a couple of years, my own family still slate our DMC and it's referred to as "The Old Tin Can" by my brother!

Thereâs an article in the DeLorean âGold Portfolioâ book which says something like âBy being an enthusiast or an owner of a DMC-12, youâre automatically sticking two fingers up to everyone elseâ

Keep those two fingers high and proud folks! :)

--
Phil Peters
VIN #4400 LHJ 58W