auto tranny problems

Well after killing my bank account I got my car 99% driveable or so I
thought. The now is when the engine and tranny are cold I almost cant feel
the shifts and acceleration from a stop is non-existent. After I drive it
about 10miles and everything warms up it accelerates great but wont shift
till 4500rpm for 1st to 2nd and about 5500rpm 2nd to 3rd. I have changed
the fluid and it is at the correct level. I checked the micro switches,
throttle position cable, vacuum, and power to the governor. When I was
driving at about 50mph @4000rpm and it refused to shift I pulled the tranny
fuse, the RPM dropped and it felt as if shifted.

>From what I have found in the archives I am thinking it could be the
governor. It is a 1981 with only 21k miles, from what I read the age is the
killer. Is my diagnosis close or is it maybe something more serious? If it
is the governor did anyone ever decide on what size capacitor or replace the
old ones with? I don't want to start anything with different kinds or
brands again just size.

Andrei Cular