[DML] No Subject

 <<Idler pulley bolts>> I sent this last week but I'm not on the list
anymore...I'm lost in cyber-space

--- Begin Message ---
In message #2956 DMC Joe said "CAUTION: Do not over tighten the pulley
mounting bracket bolts, items #4." Amen, Joe. This is very true. A while
back I was replacing the idler pulley bearing and upon reinstallation over
tightened one of the bolts, stripping the threads (not a good thing). After
calming down, I decided to re-tap the threads to a larger size and after
carefully accomplishing this a larger bolt worked fine. I am now VERY
careful with this and all other fasteners into the aluminum block. I later
fabricated and installed a stainless steel plate as an extention to the
muffler heat shield. It extends to the left (viewed from the rear of the
car) past the lower pulley and protects it somewhat from excess muffler
heat. This has greatly increased the life of that bearing.
BTW, with over 116 thousand miles on VIN# 3507, I have replaced idler pulley
bearings several times. The lower pulley bearing seems to fail more than the
upper one which is why I added the extention to the heat shield. Once while
returning from an overnight outing with several other DMC owners, the lower
bearing froze up and the pulley broke loose, fell down onto the freeway,
bounced up, and hit VIN# 2248's front facia damaging a parking/turn signal
light. I didn't even notice or hear anything and # 2248 asked on the C.B. if
I had hit or run over anything because when it hit him it made a terrible
noise.
Greg Linstad
Pacific Northwest Delorean Club
VIN# 3507 116,000+ miles
Washington plate "RUSTLSS"

"Well, my car still runs perfectly... just wanted to let everyone know"

--- End Message ---