Re: [DMCForum]

Hi lads,

The GM EV car was expensive to produce as it was not mass produced.
The cost per unit would have been drastically lower had they been
producing tens of thousands of them per year.

Of course, if they did produce them in these numbers, they would have
to be able to sell them. Their ad campaigns and customer surveys were
designed to put people off buying/leasing these cars, so this would
not have worked.

Basically, the project did not work because GM did not want it to
succeed. They way they ran the entire project, from production to
promotion allowed them to put huge pressure on the CA Air Resources
Board to scrap the laws surrounding zero emission vehicles. Their
designed failure was used as "proof" that electric cars are not a
viable option, as GM would prefer to stick to gas-guzzlers. Aren't
there proven links between the big 3 and oil companies? The big 3
have a vested interest in keeping oil consuming vehicles on the road
for as long as possible.

GM should be embarassed that they are still producing cars with
similar fuel consumption as they did back in the early 80's. Where is
the innovation??

If JZD had stayed with GM back in 73, he might have used his forward
thinking ideas to keep the company competitive in the market place
against all the import vehicles such as Honda/Toyota. Sadly, Ford and
GM are continually losing market share, and heading towards financial
disaster, while the imports are thriving.

Thanks,
John

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ryan Wright" <ryanpwright@...>
wrote:

> On 1/4/08, Bob Brandys <BobB@...> wrote:
> >
> >  Gee, maybe if they said the truth more people would have been
aware of
> >  the car.
>
> Bob,
>
> I can't believe I have to repeat this again for you, but did you
ever
> consider the fact that GM did NOT want people to buy a bunch of
> $80,000 cars for $34,000? Considering the staggering loss they took
on
> each car, I wouldn't have wanted to sell or lease many of them,
> either.
>
> Remember, this is not a car GM wanted to produce, it's a car the
> California government forced them to produce. They did everything
they
> could to stop their financial loss on the program and I can't say I
> blame them.
>
> -Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional