From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of content22207
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2008 10:20 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DMCForum]

Two engine choices: the anvil tough inline 258 (which Chrysler
continued to use in Jeeps until 2004 as the 4.0), and a 304 inch
variant of AMC's V-8.

AMC made its own V-8's. Always did. There are old wives' tales of AMC
using Ford engines, but that's bullshit and an insult to the engineers
at Kenosha.

All AMC V-8's are derived from a block developed by Nash. After the
merger, AMC perfected the design and released it as a 327 inch plant
(leading to old wives' tales that it was a GM design). Over the years
that same block was variously bored down to 250 inches and all the way
to 401 inches. Of course pistons, connecting rods, etc changed as
necessary, but they're all basically the same engine.

The 258 is of course nothing more than a long stroke 232, itself a
bored out 199. AMC's inline 6 traces its lineage to the merger.
Chrysler's adoption makes it one of the longest lived engine designs
in history.

AMC's 2.5 (not the GM Iron Duke used through 1982) is nothing more
than a 258 with two cylinder lopped off. One helluva little engine,
also retained by Chrysler after the buyout (that was the 4 cylinder
option in the Eagle/Monoco platform. V-6 was of course a PRV). Don't
know when Jeep finally dropped it.

You should see me typing this. My face is about 2 inches from the
monitor. Those eye drops have me blind as shit. I'm going to let this
controversy go on without me....

Bill Robertson

"timnagin" <timnagin@...> wrote:

> Oh, so now to be an SUV it must have a lift gate and a V-8. Did the
Pacer
> come with any other engine besides a V-8? That is pretty cool news
to all
> of those SUV owners out there that don't have a lift gate or V-8.
They can