[DMCForum] Volt, Tesla, EV1...

Even with cool video. . .

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/09/06/sunday/main3239838.shtml

Excerpt:

"I would watch very carefully what GM actually does," he said. "The country
saw a small moment of hope, you know, for electric cars for zero emission
vehicles in the '90s, when California saw GM produce the most aerodynamic
production car ever made. It was called the EV1. And it was very popular
amongst those who could get their hands on it."

You can see the end of that sad story in the documentary, "Who Killed the
Electric Car?" Filmmaker Chris Paine was the director.

"In the 1990s, California told car companies that they had to put electric
cars on the road," he said. "It took about eight years for a variety of
industry interests to kill these mandates. And as soon as they killed them,
the car companies took the cars back and destroyed them. And people were
very upset about it. In General Motors' case, they took the cars out to
Arizona and they secretly crushed them all."

Today, Bob Lutz admits that crushing the EV-1s may not have been the best
way to conclude that experiment.

"Now, it turns out that from a PR standpoint probably the dumbest move we
ever made," Lutz said. "It was done for all the right legal reasons, but
PR-wise it was dumb. So, now I'm getting e-mails saying, 'I hope you rot in
hell.'"

But Lutz says that this time, GM is dead serious about the electric car.

Greg

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: