Re: [DMCForum] Re: [DML] 50 Worst Cars-What Moron Wrote This? (Electric

Re: [DMCForum] Re: [DML] 50 Worst Cars-What Moron Wrote This? (Electric Motors)

Bill,

I said "virtually" forever. ;-) I also wasn't talking about
locomotives. The electric motors powering factory equipment 24/7 in a
food processing company I once worked for were older than dirt and
still running fine. Electric motors powering consumer vehicles will
last virtually forever. Everything else in the car is going to fall
apart and fail long before the motor, typically.

-Ryan

On 9/11/07, content22207 <brobertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In railroad locomotives electric motors (big traction motors that wrap
>  around the axles) do not last forever. They last a long time, barring
>  a short or other catastophe, but definitely not forever.
>
>  Interestingly enough, in diesel electric locomotives the prime mover
>  generally outlasts the traction motors. Cylinder assemblies wear out
>  and need to be replaced, but unless the crankshaft breaks the block
>  itself goes on and on and on....
>
>  The company I now work for has many 1940's era locomotives in lease
>  service. None of them are still running their original traction
>  motors, but those with original prime movers have had nothing but
>  cylinder assemblies (and accessories such as fuel and water pumps)
>  replaced.
>
>  Bill Robertson

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional