Re: [DMCForum] Going totally electric powered

Re: [DMCForum] Going totally electric powered

Golly, it's been a while

Two full H bridges parallelling up two IRF FB180SA10 Isotop FET packs
(almost certainly superceeded now) on each "leg" with star-wired gate
drives (total of 16 packs, 8 per controller), aluminium bus bars where
possible and a big pair of diode packs. Power supply cables ran through
a hall effect sensor which was used to trigger a comparator at 350A
which shorted the gate drive to ground. Ugly but it worked for a current
limit. We had to run a fast high current capacitor across the power
supply rails, the whole unit weighed in at less than 2lbs if I remember
correctly. Doubled up and inside the robot, they looked like this

http://www.robotcombat.co.uk/pics/DSCN0327.jpg

Those bolts are 10mm head, to give an idea of scale. The ribbon cable is
the gate drives - easy to make sure they'r eall the same length then!

Feel; free to read my site if you like - www.robotcombat.co.uk  - it's
just something I knocked up but I'm not going back to unit his year now.

I was not personally responsible for the speed controllers. What are you
trying to do?

Martin

Bob Brandys wrote:

> Martin,
>
> You said
>
> "Can defo help with the motor controller(s) and you're right to leave
> that task to someone who knows.
>
> We tried (and spectacularly failed) on the robot and eventually struck
> deal with a good friend of mine who gave us the design to his power
> stage and we ran 350A switching at 24v into perm magnet motors and the
> controllers didn't even get warm."
>
> Can you be more specific? We are investigating the motor controller
> question and
> could use recommendations or advice you have.
>
> Do you have a diagram of the circuit you used?
>
> Bob Brandys

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: