From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Videobob Moseley
Sent: Monday, January 29, 2007 1:13 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [DMCForum] Selecting a good watch

You might get a lot of responses to this, and some will tell you about
how
great the Omega's are,
the Tag's, hell even a Seiko is a great watch.
But when it comes to a good investment and a timeless design that always

turns heads
there is no better watch than a ROLEX SUBMARINER.
I have owned several, and the one I wear now is a stainless steel and
gold
two toned
model, with the black face.

Retail on this watch is about $7100.00
However you can pick up a used one for much less.
There is a unique value curve on these watches, they won't fall below a
certain level
but do depreciate from new to used simply because the wholesale of the
watch
is
marked up by almost 100%.
It's wholesale seems to be it's average selling price.
So you can get a good one for about $4000 if you look around hard
enough.

I got mine on eBay for $3900 and it appraised for greater than that, and
it
is
insured through a separate policy by State Farm for its retail
replacement
cost.
Only cost me about $100 per year to do that and it is covered.

All the investment aside, it is a great watch.
It is tough as nails and I wear it ALL THE TIME.
I have banged it into walls, door knobs, scraped it and the sapphire
crystal
is fine.
It is easy to buff out yourself or have cleaned up by a jeweler.
Every few months I take it out to the shop and give it a buff on the
wheel
and
it blings like a pimps tooth.
IT's MADE OF STAINLESS AND GOLD!!!!!!

I wrote an article for eBay about buying these used watches, check it
out
here:
http://reviews.ebay.com/Rolex-Submariner-Guide-for-Sellers-amp-Buyers_W0
QQugidZ10000000001479027
<http://reviews.ebay.com/Rolex-Submariner-Guide-for-Sellers-amp-Buyers_W
0QQugidZ10000000001479027>

It mainly discusses how to spot a fake from the real thing.
I have owned a lot of replica Rolex's too, and there is defiantly a
difference in the real thing.
They make high end "Swiss" replicas that sell for over $1000 that claim
be as good.
They are NOT. It's a waste.
These watches are good investments and make heirlooms.

If you are a fan of mechanical watches, it is easy to fall in love with
the
Rolex and
it's heritage and story.

That's my opinion.