Re: [DMCForum] ANOTHER REALLY STUPID SCAM

Re: [DMCForum] ANOTHER REALLY STUPID SCAM

No, it's the exact opposite of that.  You have to list
your auction first, then you can go back and  add the
preapproved bidder disclaimer.  This is done by adding
in the bidders handle to the sellers list.  What the
scammers are doing is listing "nobody" being
preapproved, ie: zero handles.  This way nobody gets
to bid unless they contact the seller.  Ebay actually
allows this, but that is what they say they are going
to fix in January 2007.

I had always wondered why, every now and then, I would
see an auction, run by a scammer, and under "bids",
which is always 0, there would be one or two canceled
bids by the seller saying the bidder had to contact
the seller first before bidding.  I finally broke the
code and figured out that people were actually bidding
early in the auction, before the seller was able to go
back and enter the disclaimer.  The seller was stuck
at this point, if they accepted the bids, because Ebay
would have a record and the proof they needed to go
after these guys.  Hence, they just canceled the bids
and then the buyers would have to contact them for
approval.  And we all know where that leads, "a death
in the family, I'm in Budupest, the car's in Egypt,
I'll pay all shipping charges, and Oh By The Way, I
want to be paid via Western Union.    :-)

Mike   TPS    1630

PS:  Glad to help with the fascia---now, ya wanna buy
a colorized wiring diagram?    :-O

--- Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/18/06, mike clemens <rmclemns@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Ryan,
> >
> >  Not to get picky, but you are absolutily right:
> you
> >  can list an auction and you can make a list of
> >  Preapproved Bidders, but they cannot be
> Preapproved
> >  until your auction is listed and running.  That's
> what
> >  the Ebay site says and I tried it.  Ebay wants
> their
> >  listing fees first, then, they really don't give
> >  SHIT!!!!!  You can Preapprove "nobody" (what the
> >  scammers are doing) and the EBAY system will
> accept
> >  it.
>
> Woah... OK, so you're saying the seller can't
> actually add bidders to
> the pre-approved list once the auction is running? I
> didn't know that.
>
> >  PS:  How's the fascia removal coming????
>
> Got it off. Finally!!
>
> -Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional