From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of doctorDHD@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2006 9:44 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: [DMCForum] Doing my part to keep the drean alive...

When I was at the LI Cruizin for a Cure show this past Sunday, I met
someone
who seemed very knowledgeable about the DeLorean.  When I asked him  how he
knew so much he explained that he was a Lotus enthusiast and since Lotus
was
involved in the design he took an avid interest.  I wrote up a little  story

for his website, which has some info on "our" cars.  If your  interested you
can
check out his site at, _http://members.fortunecity.com/alicat1/delorean.htm_

(http://members.fortunecity.com/alicat1/delorean.htm)

(Be forewarned, it has some funky sounds in the background so you might
want
to turn down the volume on your speakers...)

This is what he wrote back to me...

Greetings Dave,
I am John Mamarella, of John's Online LOTUS  Garage & Museum.
I see by the fact that I got this great e-mail from you  that you found
my website with no problem.

I too enjoyed  meeting you, and talking with you about your car.
In fact, my wife wanted to  meet you as well, but we became so animated
in our conversation that she  didn't want to interrupt us.
I told her that I am sure that we will see you  again at other Car
Shows, and I will make sure that she gets introduced then.
As I mentioned at the show, the Delorean has a very  interesting
history as to how it came into being, but unfortunately, most  people
only know of it from the "Back To The Future" movies.
It is truly  a marvel of the technology that was available at that time.
Many  people tend to look down their noses at the Delorean because
they expect it  to have the performance of a Ferrari, but that was not
the purpose, (or the  market), that it was built for.
It was produced primarily with the  young Professional in mind, much
as the 1974 to 1982 LOTUS Elite M50 was.
It is ideal for someone who would have considered buying a BMW  or
Mercedes, but wanted an automobile that was a little different, and  it
is perfect for the daily commute to the Office, Hospital, or  Court,
which it does in great style and comfort.
A point of interest to  note is that a few years later, GM had LOTUS
raid the Pontiac Parts Bin to  design the Fiero for them.
The Fiero was also maligned for its performance,  but again, it was only
built to be a 'Daily Commuter' car for someone who  wanted a little more
style for their daily automotive statement.
(That was also the original basis for the Toyota Mr/2 when they had
LOTUS  design that car for them.
At the time Toyota owned 21% of LOTUS, (having  purchased the share
after LOTUS redesigned the Supra), and the car was  supposed to
be built using Toyota components, and sold as a new LOTUS model.
This was at about the time that GM bought LOTUS, and they didn't want
to  produce the car using Toyota parts,so Toyota purchased all of the
design work  and made it themselves.)
GM was very happy with the results of the  Buick Reatta and the
Chevrolet ZR-1 Corvette projects that LOTUS had  previously also had a
hand in, and had LOTUS design a new car, the front  wheel drive Elan
M100, which used Isuzu components, because GM has a large  financial
interest in that company.

As I mentioned at the  Show, the Delorean P-R-V drive train is pretty
bullet-proof, (and most of the  Peugeot/Renault/Volvo V6 engine parts can
be gotten relatively inexpensively  from the local Parts Houses such as
Pep Boys or Auto Barn, if you ask for  them as Volvo 260 or 760 parts).
There is some room for improvement in the  performance of the car
without having to do a big job of re-engineering it.
As you are involved with the owners organizations that specialize in
the  car, you would have a better idea of what is available as far as
'Specialty  Parts'.
I hope that you will have many years of enjoyment driving the  car
that you dreamed of for so long.
Your story about the pursuit of that  dream is great, and I  added it
to the Delorean Page on my website last  night, 09/17/2006.
I will look forward to seeing you at other events.
Sincerely,
John Mamarella
E-mail: alicat1@xxxxxxxxxxx

P.S.
The pictures of  the Delorean on my website were taken by me about 5
years ago at a big Car  Show that is held in Queens, at the Belmont
Raceway, every year.
The date  for the show this year is Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 04 & 05,
2006.

D² & 6530
Dave Delman

<*> Your email settings: