From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jon Heese
Sent: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 12:13 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] Re: Posting FROM Marc Levy about Moderation

For some reason, my last post to the list didn't go through.  I might
think that I had been moderated, but of course that would be ridiculous
since Ryan specifically mentioned me by name and asked me to respond to
this question.

Anyway, here is my original response:

Actually, I have been voicing my opinion on the new rules ever since the
day they were put into effect, starting with these messages from 10/3/05:

Then I voiced my opinion further in these messages over the subsequent
two months:

And especially here:

And here:

After that point, the moderation hysteria calmed to silence, so I never
brought it up, hoping it was gone for good.

I think that these messages I posted to the list as well as the private
emails exchanged between me and both Ryan and Greg pretty well sum up
why I'm not happy with the new rules.  I still feel the same way about it.

As far as I'm concerned, topics like these are among the most important
topics this list can discuss, since they shape the very list itself.  To
squelch this discussion is to thwart the list's natural evolution and
welcome stagnation and self-destruction.

Regards,
Jon Heese

Ryan Wright wrote:
 > Erik, Jon, Martin & Matt:
 >
 > The group rules have been in place since last October. Why are you
just now
 > voicing your opposition to them?

 > "Trolling will not be tolerated"
 >
 > "Once a warning has been posted, it is no longer open for public
 > discussion. This includes any commentary about moderator actions. If
 > you have a complaint, contact the moderators privately."
 >
 > Marc isn't happy with the list rules. Instead of discussing them with
us in
 > private, he dragged the entire list into it. He was asked to stop, he
 > refused. I don't see the problem here.
 >
 > But, please, now that we're already embroiled in the discussion, tell
us why
 > you aren't happy with the rules that were established last year and
why you
 > waited so long to speak up.
 >
 > What about the other 338 members here? Do you feel the same as Marc,
Erik,