[DMCForum] Re: Radio Basics?

Thanks for the advice.

Now to answer some of the questions you brought up.

I have the kick panels taken care of. Plan to make my own custom
units. Should be "interesting". Just gotta decide if I want carpet
or a leather/vinyl effect.

My Time Circuits will be in place on the car full time. My Kenwood
head unit will be monted in the film car radio location. For Screen
Accuracy I will make up a false front to mimic the original 2 post
radio. That will be easily removed so the screen can come up during
driving (Screen will be hooked up to my rear view camera). The Brain
Box for the head unit will be located on the rear storage shelf
under some screen accurate casings. You won't even know it's there.

One of the benefits of doing the time machine conversion is that I
can run all my wiring exposed and no one would even notice :) Its
the speakers that are a trick.

The challenge with the Time Circuit unit is the blockage of the AC
Vents, but I'm working around that with some custom low profile pull
out vents that will mount to the underside of the knee pads. The
other solution was to actually put the vents IN the kneepads, but I
thought that would depart too much from the screen used car.

Part of the reason why I'm asking about the Antenna is because I
want to integrate a few more functions into my overhead button
console. I got a couple of things worked out up there, but am always
looking for more stuff.

And don't worry, I'm plenty creative :) I already have my exterior
sound system worked out along with few additional suprises in the
interior of the car.

-Gary

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Videobob Moseley" <videobob@...>
wrote:

> Gary,
> I know you hate me but I will offer some "sound" advice to you
anyway.

> You will want to not only replace the radio but all of the
speakers.
> Don't bother removing and replacing the old rear speakers, they
will be
> blocked by
> your back wall and sound like crap anyway.
> Only worry about your front speakers.
> I own and recommend Danny Botkin's lower speaker mounting kit that
lets
> you install some larger round 3 way speakers and grills, and you
can also
> replace
> the two small under dash speakers.
> Just make sure that the small under dash speakers are single cone
and do not
> have center mounted tweeters, as they usually won't fit.
> (mine are Rockford Fozgate PUNCH)
>
> Radio wise, I am not sure how you plan to mount your time circuits
this time
> and I assume you are going to just take them out altogether and
put them in
> when you need them?
> However, most high end radios will only activate the antenna when
the actual
> radio is selected. You can easily put in a bypass switch on the
BLUE wire
> that runs
> from the radio to the antenna.
>
> (I know you most likely won't buy anything from me)
> however I do sell the correct antenna, with a stainless steel
shaft, and I
> also sell the
> radio harness adapters so you don't have to cut your wires in my
store at
> http://www.dfwdmc.com
> You will however want to run NEW wires to your new speakers
separately
> because
> the car is wired up for an old style of radio with a common
ground, and that
> won't work.
>
> If you want to be creative with the time machine, you can do like
Bob
> Brandys did
> and hide some outdoor speakers on the back deck for blaring Huey
Lewis out