Re: [DMCForum] Radio Basics?

Hi Gary,

On 7/6/06, Gary Weaver II <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  First off, are there any power compatibility issues to worry about
>  since the car is this old?

Nope! The DeLorean is a standard 12v system like any other modern car.
Any stereo will work fine in it.

That said, I might suggest running a dedicated hot & ground from the
battery. Make sure the hot is fused. If you're not going to push much
power, it's probably not necessary; however, in my case I got much
cleaner output via the AUX inputs by tying directly into the battery.
You'll still have an ACC input from your ignition switch that actually
turns the radio on and off, but most modern stereos don't draw their
power off that.

>  Also, can I just use kickers (ala DMC Garden Grove) in place of the
>  dash speakers?

Absolutely, in fact I'd recommend it. The dash speakers are too tiny
to be useful. That said: I would suggest using component speakers. Put
your mid-range speakers in the kick panels and fabricate a custom
bracket to put the tweeters in the dash spot. You'll need to offset
the tweeter mount from the dash with a spacer of some sort (this is
why I said "fabricate a custom bracket"); modern speakers protrude
past their mounting points, and you'll crack your dash if you tighten
them up without offsetting them somehow.

>  Has anyone completely rewired the Motor Antenna so it can be
>  activated by a seperate switch? I doubt I'll be using the radio
>  feature of the car that much and would like the ability to just
>  lower the antenna when I don't need it.

Most modern stereos will do this for you. My Eclipse raises the
antenna only when the radio is on. Switch to CD or AUX inputs and it
lowers it automatically. I'd guess 99% of today's stereos will do the
same (although some don't lower it back down when switching inputs -
the Infinity system in my Montero won't raise the antenna if you power
on directly to CD mode, but once you switch to the radio, it will keep
the antenna up until you turn the power off even if you switch back to
CD. I find this behavior annoying.)

However, to answer your question, it would be trivial to activate the
antenna via a separate switch. Your power antenna has a "trigger"
line; apply 12v (? I think -- Could be a ground trigger -- double
check before wiring it up) and it comes up; remove it and it goes
down. Real simple. But as I said, most stereos have an antenna output
and will take care of this for you.

>  I'm not sure where else I could have issues, so if you know of any
>  please let me know...
>
>  Thanks in advance.

I suggest you don't bother with the rear speakers. You won't find a
decent oblong speaker no matter how much money you spend, and I've
heard they're a pain to get to. Instead, run new speaker lines and cut
holes in the rear panel for some round speakers. There's plenty of
space behind that panel for the magnets to go so the speakers will sit
flush with the panel (well, almost flush; speakers do protrude a bit,
especially with the grill, but they will look like they belong). If
you don't want to mar your panel, a new one could be easily fabricated
- it's just plywood and carpet. Take yours out and cut another to
match.

-Ryan