Re: [DMCForum] Turbo.

Marc Levy wrote:

>If you put a piece of paper on the intake side of a
>fan, it creates suction such that the paper sticks to
>the fan..  You also will notice the motor is working
>harder to spin the blades, and the blades will slow
>down.

Actually no, I notice precisely the opposite - the fan spins faster
because it is doing no work. Try it with a CPU fan. This is a common
misconception. A piston pump or a gear pump will stall if you block the
exit port. A fan will simply pressurise one side, evacuate the other
side, then proceed to "paddlewheel" the air around with zero flow. The
only work it is doing is maintaining the pressure differential from one
side to the other, which is less work than shifting a large volume of
air, so it spins faster.

>By blocking the intake of the turbo, you will create a
>large amount of suction between the "block" and the
>impeller.  It will not spin freely, even though the
>exhaust gasses are pushing on it.

It will spin freely however it will apply a vacuum to the inlet side so
I'll scrap the idea based on that. I think a filter on the inlet and
block the exit port, and wire the wastegate open is the best option.
Unless anyone has any better ideas? Wedge a screwdriver into the blades
maybe? <g>

>You do have the oil lines hooked up, right?  :)

Yahuh.....(well not yet, the engine is still on the stand!)

>Why not just hook up the turbos with a short pipe
>where the intercooler will be going?

ECU won't be mapped properly at this point and we'll just pootle it down
to the rad place. I'd rather it not boost at that point. Plus we're
doing a 2-into-1 setup which would be a bit mickey-mouse.

Martin