[DMCForum] Re: The first "proper" twin turbo DeLorean PRV since Legend

[DMCForum] Re: The first "proper" twin turbo DeLorean PRV since Legend

Neato.

Will us people in the far western hemisphere ever get to see it?

Rick.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski - DMC Ltd
<martin@...> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> What with all this recent talk about engine mods, I thought I'd
share a
> couple of random, and fairly poor photos I took today of an engine
I'm
> working on with a friend (not for a customer :-)
>
> It -was- an Island twin turbo DeLorean engine from auto #2727 which
is
> getting a 5-speed conversion as well as this engine. I have fitted
the
> crank, pistons and one head from a 2458cc Renault 25 turbo. The cam
in
> the other head is off being machined to fit the distributor drive
from a
> 3 litre Renault Safrane engine so it can go at the "wrong" end of
the
> head, so that head is still waiting to go on. It isn't pretty as
this is
> in the realms of experimentation and general curiosity but the
heads
> have been faced, the (sodium cooled) valves are all clean and re-
lapped
> (hands still sore) with new stem seals, all new shells, seals and
rings
> on the pistons. All the shiny bits are on the inside, basically!
Damn
> it'll go well on a bar of boost :-) I'm using the bellhousing from
a 25
> turbo (identical apart from trigger sensor mount - ain't ebay
great),
> the gearset from a donor DeLorean gearbox, built in to a Renault 30
> casing. 25 turbo clutch (stronger), I'm using the flywheel from a
25
> turbo with the trigger ring slightly modified to suit a
configurable
> aftermarket ECU (why oh why did Renault pick such a stupid trigger
> pattern?!). Exhaust will be 100% Island setup, the intake pipework
will
> be custom with twin intercoolers where the exhaust muffler isn't,
dump
> valve and a couple of simple cone filters on the turbo intakes,
ducted
> from inside the pontoons. Compression ratio is 8:1 and this is
achieved
> in the heads, not by the pistons. At first glance, they look
exactly the
> same as DeLorean ones, but you can see the blocked off unused
> distributor port and the un-machined drive on the camshaft. We had
> nightmare of a time putting the pistons in and I suspect the
conrods
> were ever-so-slightly out of true because I ended up re-fitting the
rods
> from a 24v 3 litre Citroen PRV (identical) which fit perfectly.
Praise