From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of therealdmcvegas
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 3:56 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: NO more

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Josh Porter" <joshp1986@xxxx> wrote:
<SNIP>
> There was a post about it being just a girlfriend. I don't mean to
> be ugly but are you saying that a car is more important than a girl?
> There are what 8K DeLoreans out there? This girl is one of a kind.
> Both of us plan on going to Chicago, so if we do go then you guys
> will get to meet her.
>
> Josh

Depending upon the situation (almost everyone), absolutely would I put
a car ahead of a woman. That's based off of the experience of many
others that I have encounted over the past 6 years of ownership.

When taking my car out in public, like to autoparts stores and the
such, the amount of older people who come over to see my car, and
remeince is amazing. Not about DeLoreans, but about their cars. Lots
of old timers, and middle aged guys have not only been amazed at my
car, but at the age at which I got her; 21. I always get some
teary-eyed story about what kind of car they used to own, and why they
sold it for whatever reason. And they're always sorry that they did.

Case in point, my dead uncle. A few months before I got to see my car,
I went to visit my dying uncle, who passed a few weeks later, down in
California. We spoke for a while privately, while everyone else had
left the house. And he shared a very interesting story with me.

Both of my uncles were HUGE Mustang fans. This uncle, Esco, owned a
'66 Fastback with a 429, painted in Ford blue. My other uncle, Randal
owned a '69 Boss 302, painted in Grabber Orange. Randal had left the
car behind in Ohio, and asked my Grandparents to just sell it off for
him, because he'd met some girl (ironicly, the sister of the woman
that my other uncle married, and everyone was pretty damn unhappy),
and he missed the car, of course for quite some time after that.

Now Esco was a different story. Esco had his '66 Fastback that he
LOVED! He washed and waxed it every weekend, drove it everywhere, and
showed off in it every chance he got. His girlfriend at the time, was
eventually to be his wife later on. And they got into a large fight
one night, over, of all things, his car. She crooked him into selling
the car, by telling him that he loved his car MORE than he loved her.
Not that he didn't care for her, but she just didn't like the car, and
all the attention that it got. So, in a half-witted effort to *prove*
his love to her, and the fact that he didn't cherish a car over a
woman, he sold it.

Fast forward about 30 years or so, and my uncle is on his deathbed
telling me all this. Over the years, my uncle had owned quite a few
cars. One that he REALLY wanted, but his wife wouldn't allow him to
buy because she didn't like it was ironicly enough a DeLorean. So when
my uncle discovered that I was saving up to buy one, his eyes really
lit up. So my uncle encouraged me to buy it, and never let go of it no
matter what.

And the reason was simple. My uncle was proud of his kids, and his
life for the most part, but only had one true regret: Selling that
car. If he hadn't have sold the car, he'd still have it. And even if
he didn't, he would at least have parted with it on his terms. And
that, believe it or not, really gives a sense of closure and peace to
someone. He'll, I still regret selling off my first car...

Now, personally I've gotta say that owning a DeLorean has been a great
experience, and has certainly helped me get to where I am today. It
got me remembered durring an important job interview, introduced me to
many good friends, and helped me demonstrate to employers that I'm
willing and commited to take on long term projects, believe it or not.

Now from what it sounds like, your current girlfriend isn't really
pushing you to sell the DeLorean. However, if you choose to part ways
with it, that is infact your choice. And as such, don't push the
decision that you made off onto someone else. Maybe my uncle was
wrong, and things may not have turned out differently that they did
(him being married to an idiot who kept them in debt for many years
due to her constant spending habits). But one thing is for certain.
Regardless, I would NEVER have put myself into a position where I
spend DECADES angry at someone else.

If YOU choose to sell the car, that's fine. But just make certain that
the decision is soley YOURS.

-Robert

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10
Dmc fz1s Delorean part Dml forte