RE: [DMCForum] Copyright

I think we all know my story with the logo.
When I first came on the scene I made a reproduction sticker to fill in the
hole on the automatic
gear shift, it was a little black sticker with silver DMC letters.
I made up a sheet of about 20 of them, and offered any of the extras for
$5.00 each.
James Espey immediately reprimanded me and said that I "should have checked
with him first",
and my response to him was that I didn't know I had to check with him or
anyone else
because when I looked up the logo in the database it had expired a loooong
time ago.
He told me that it would lead to legal action if I continued to use the
logo.
I called my lawyer immediately.
My lawyer laughed...he said, "you know what would be funny? Let's buy the
logo ourselves!"
I called some patent attorneys and started the ball rolling.
They came back and told me that most likely the claim to buy would be
denied,
because DMCH could use the clause of "public confusion" as defense, claiming
that
my goal to use the logo was to confuse the public into thinking I was them.
However...there are lots of companies that use DMC as their letters.
Too many too list.
There is a popular line of biker t-shirts here in Dallas that feature "DMC"
on the shirt,
(using a different font).
However, DMCH can not trademark letters or a font, that is why they made the
"image"
of their logo with lines around it. Sounds goofy, but it is a technical
issue.

My lawyers advised me to just make what ever I want and sell it and to
ignore any letters
that DMCH sends me, except for a real court summons in which I would show up
to court
and simply agree to a "no contest" to "not make any more", of course by then
I would have
sold lots of stuff for years.
The only reason I haven't is because I want to keep the peace.

James was pretty cool to me at the open house show this summer, and gave
me his point of view over some late night drunken Jack In The Box tacos.
I wouldn't say we were friends or anything, but I think we both agreed in a
truce.
He sort of said to me in a round about way...that making stuff for yourself
or a few buddies
is cool, but when you go all out commercial with it they have a duty to
defend the product.

Much like we stole this land from the natives, they are doing so with DMC.
They need to fight for it if they want it, right or not it is their duty.
They have a shitload of cash invested into that place and need to protect
it.
As far as money goes....I am pretty sure Stephen was well off in the first
place.
He took a hobby and a passion and went to the next level.
I have a whole lot more respect for Stephen now that I have gotten my
collection
of DeLorean World magazines. He has been in the thick of things since the
very beginning.
Grady, Stegar and Wynne have all been doing this stuff for a long, loooong
time.
Longer than most of us ever will.
Let them have their kudos.
- Videobob