Re: [DMCForum] Re: voice mail hell...

On 12/14/05, therealdmcvegas <dmcvegas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> What's the point of bypassing the IVR when you call someplace? Chances
> are that whomever you speak with when you bypass the main system is
> NOT going to be able to help you. They're just going to transfer you
> into another phone queue, after you already waited in theirs.
>
> Unless there is some guarantee that you'll bypass a company's
> outsourced Tier 1 support, it just doesn't make a difference.

Sure it does. One example:

If you call Charter Internet support, they force you to go through a
modem resetting procedure before they'll even put you in the queue.
I've tried several different ways to get out of it, and all failed.
One time it warned me that trying this procedure while on a VOIP
connection would result in the call being dropped, and asked if I was
on a VOIP. I figured if I said yes it would stop trying to make me
reset the modem. So I did, and it said, "We're sorry, but you cannot
perform this procedure while on a VOIP connection. Please call back
from a normal phone line. Goodbye!" - and it hung up on me.

Keep in mind this procedure is required before you even get into the
queue! Sure, you can sit there and lie to it, "Yes, I did this, yes I
did that" - but it takes a solid 10 minutes to walk through the
fracking thing.

So I go straight to an operator, ask for tech support, and I get put
right into the queue. No crappy voice prompted forced modem reset
procedure.

Secondly: At a large number of companies, the "departments" are one
and the same. They force you through a menu but you get put into the
same "pool" of customer noservice reps. Thus, anyone at any menu
choice can help you with anything. Selecting "open a new account" will
often move you right to the front of the line and allow you to get any
kind of service you want.

--
- Ryan

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10