Re: [DMCForum] Re: Cop stories

Over 150,000 miles on British and European roads since I passed my test
in 1996. I'd never been pulled over, till I got to Atlanta on the way to
the Memphis show, half an hour after landing, got pulled for 83 in a 70
(or something, I forget). I explained to the officer that a) I'm
Eingerlish, doncherknow and b) I'm used to driving a *little* faster. He
asked how much faster. I said (and it's true) that on a quiet motorway,
you won't get stopped until you're tickling 100. He looked at me
seriously and said "this highway gets twice as busy as this!" (I could
see for about 1/4 of a mile and could see 3 cars). I suggested that he'd
be very surprised if he ever drove around London!

I handed over my tatty original falling-to-pieces British driving
licence (they've brought out card ones now but they're not mandatory
yet!) and he looked at it blankly, obviously wondering what to do with
me. I got let off :-)

Just want to have a quick moan too - what got me more annoyed about US
highways than anything were the apparent random speed limits. You'd be
chipping along at 75 and suddenly for no discernable reason, its 55.
Then 65. Then 75. And if you miss the sign, you're screwed! Over here,
if it's a motorway, it's a national limit. Officially 70mph but you
rarely get someone in the outside lane doing 70! The only exceptions
would be roadworks, fog, danger ahead etc.

Martin

Joe OBrien wrote:

>I got nailed doing 67 in a 55 in Kentucky earlier this year. Rednec k
>cops start the tickets out at $155 for 5mph over and go up from there.
>
>He made me feel good by saying he was only going to put me down for
>only 5mph over.
>
>Gee, what a bargain.
>

>-Joe

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10