Re: [DMCForum] Mistletoe belt buckles, naked chicks and hummers...

Re: [DMCForum] Mistletoe belt buckles, naked chicks and hummers...

Wow.  I strongly disagree, Ryan.  I'm actually at a loss for where to
begin responding to this...  I'm floored that someone actually believes
this.

Growing up, I always celebrated Christmas, and I probably always will,
even if the religious aspect fades into the background.  But I've been
friends with Jews, Muslims and Jehovah's Witnesses whose feelings range
from disinterest to anger at the way society pushes the holiday on
everyone, regardless of faith.

I hope you're not saying you don't realize that.

Beyond my firsthand knowledge that there are people who don't
like/celebrate Christmas, while the religious aspect of the holiday is
not usually the focus, Christmas is a steadfastly Christian tradition,
and as such, will never be a "national" holiday.

Thanksgiving commemorates a significant time in the history of the
nation and has no direct ties to any religion; it doesn't single anyone
out.  Likewise, New Years is celebrated by people of almost all faiths
(even if the date of the first day of the year is sometimes seen
differently; since the world pretty much uses the same calendar, it's
certainly not exclusive to one religion).  Christmas only exists because
of the Chrisitan tradition, and is very specific to Christianity.

Now, I do see your point that wishing someone a Merry Christmas is
hardly starting a religious discssion, but I also see Mar's point of
making it clear that Christmas is far from a universal holiday.  I think
that needs to be recognized.

Regards,
Jon Heese