Re: [DMCForum] 10989

--- mike clemens <rmclemns@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Josh's car, moving under it's own power was good,
> but
> not near as good as seeing the smiles on his and
> Cousin Ben's faces when they returned from their
> spin
> around the block.  I could have keeled over with a
> heart attack and they would have kept on grinning
> and
> jiving.
>
> To expound on his problems---when we got it started,
> idle was around 2000 rpm and if you tried to open
> the
> throttle at all, it would hesitate and try to quit.
> Let off the gas and it would stabilize at 2000 rpm
> again.  After we got it warmed up, rpm's leveled out
> at 2500 rpm, but the throttle worked without much
> hesitation.  Any ideas on this high idle problem??

Sounds like a typical vacuum leak.

> Second problem----we bled the clutch as per all the
> advice given by the Forum members and it appeared to
> work.  Once we got it running, we couldn't get it
> into
> gear without pumping the clutch five or six times,
> then it would go into reverse and all gears.
> After running a while, we could not get it to shift
> into reverse at all.  I'm thinking he's got bad
> seals
> in either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder,
> but not sure which, that is allowing the pressure to
> bleed down.  Any ideas on this??

Still air in the system.  Bleed it more.

> Last question---does the RPM relay have any control
> (even remotely) over the spark put out by the coil??

Hmm..  The ignition system is what feeds the RPM
relay.  I guess it is possible to have a bad RPM relay
that could impact your spark (saying that without
looking at the wiring diagram, so I may be 100%
wrong).   If you suspect a problem with the RPM relay,
take it out and jump it so the fuel pump will run on
it's own.

> I'm 99% sure his relay is bad (intermitant open) and
> while trouble shooting, I noticed no spark from the
> coil.
>
> I really appreciate all the help and encourgement
> you
> folks have given in this little quest.  Josh, I
> know,
> is thrilled!!
>
> Mike      TPS      1630
>
> PS:  See Lauren, I told you we'd get it going, and
> he
> still wants to hug me, but that ain't gonna happen
> this lifetime. :-)

Homophobe??

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs