Re: [DMCForum] Fuel Prices.

You have to look at diesel prices and gas prices  differently though.  I'm looking for a "new" car right now, one of  my options is a Jetta TDI.  I did the math, and, at the time  diesel was $1.00 more a gallon than gas.  it was something like  9.8 cents per mile with diesel and 8.5 cents per mile with gas....and  that $1.00 more per gallon!  Here in Michigan gas and diesel are  about .30 cents different, diesel being more.  You are still doing  better with diesel.  Also, if you go Vegi-Diesel, which i'm  looking into as well, and you have a good source for your oil, then  there is no comparison.

  Erik

therealdmcvegas <dmcvegas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxx> wrote:

  > I think you answered your own question.
  >
  > Imagine the economic impact if even 2% of the cars on
  > the road got over 50MPG.  That may cost Big Oil a few
  > million in profits.  We can't let that happen!
  >
  >
  > --- Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxx> wrote:
  >
  > > I also don't understand why the two seater Honda
  > > Insight hybrid was
  > > canceled. Owners reported regular gas mileage in
  > > excess of 70mpg. Some
  > > were even claiming 90mpg on certain routes.
  >
  >
  >
  >
  > __________________________________
  > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

  The Honda Insight was just not as practical a car, as the Toyota
  Prirus is. It got better worse economy, and couldn't haul as much. But
  Insights are still pretty cheap as used cars, since they just can't
  hold their value.

  I don't know that the oil industry is really able to put that much
  pressure on a car manufacturer. Especailly one such as Honda, who have
  such a diverse manufacturing portfolio. It would be quite the
  opposite, where the Manufacturer would be the one dictating to the oil
  industry. Such as in the past, with unleaded fuels.

  HOWEVER, the oil industry is certainly doing what it can to crush
  alternative fuel sources. Biodiesel, and straight grease have been
  gaining ALLOT of popularity. And as a result, diesel vehicles are
  becoming more and more in demand. However, the oil industry has
  countered by raising Diesel prices. This strikes fear into people who
  are considering buying diesel, but are then intimidated by the higher
  cost of fuel. Here in Vegas, I've seen Diesel #2 about 60¢ a gallon
  HIGER than gasoline! It frightens allot of potential buyers off,
  because they're then buying a car with higher fuel costs at the pump.
  I've seen this happen with a couple of people, including myself.

  I don't know if "Peak Oil" is real or not. I've heard lots of
  arguments both backing it up, and discrediting it. But I do know one
  thing that's for certain. There are ALLOT of alternative fuel sources
  out there that people are wanting to switch over to, regardless. And
  no matter if the demand for petroleum drops, or if the supply is
  exhausted, the result is the same: If you can't sell it, you can't
  profit. No matter if it's because you don't have it, or it's not
  wanted. So why not crush the competition anyways?

  -Robert