From: Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 29 Nov 2005 20:59:20 -0000
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] FW: Hummer H2 vs. Tahoe

On 11/29/05, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I guess the root of that comes from my opinion that
> these monster trucks are Selfish.

This is a relatively popular opinion, but I've always wondered why
it's only been popping up over the last 5 to 10 years or so. Why now?
Full size vans and big pickups have been around for a long time, and
nobody had a problem back then.

People get annoyed because there are so many more of them on the road
now, but it seems hypocritical to me. The people who feel this way
weren't mad at truck and van owners in the seventies and eighties. Why
now?

> Think about this next time you are in your DeLorean
> trying to make a turn or change lanes, and you can't
> see what the heck is going on around you because you
> have SUV's blocking your view.

Or trucks, or vans, or work trucks, dump trucks, delivery trucks, RVs,
big rigs, .. I mean, if you're going to hold this opinion, you can't
just label SUVs. All of these vehicles cause the same problems. Why
aren't big dump trucks selfish? Is it because they're doing some sort
of specific, official work?

What if I tow a big boat to the lake several times a week, but drive
my H2 to work because I don't want to own multiple vehicles for
multiple tasks? Does that count as a specific, official work, and
hence OK, or am I still selfish? I guess I could have a Kia for work,
a pickup for towing and hauling, and a minivan for family outings, but
that doesn't make sense when a single SUV will do all of the above. If
I only have $30k to spend, am I selfish for buying one nice "all in
one" vehicle instead of three cheap, used ones?

My parents have a full size van with few windows on the side. It sucks
up twice the gas of my SUV, blocks the view much worse, and likely
weighs more. Nobody ever gives them crap about that, but I get to hear
how selfish I am for owning an SUV. Why?

I suppose someone could make the argument that a DeLorean is selfish
and dangerous to others on the road. Every time I'm driving, the
people around me spend more time looking at my car than watching where
they're going. One of these days someone is going to cause an accident
and kill someone, "taking away their option to live", all because I
wanted a DeLorean. ;-)

--
- Ryan