Jack Stiefel - Tampa, Fl
DMC Vin 03461 1981 Grey 5 speed
DMC Vin 16879 1983 Black 5 speed
Listen to the best music of all time at www.fmtimemachine.com
Come hang out in The DMC Lounge --
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DMCLounge/

-----Original Message-----
From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of tmadsop@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 8:44 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] FW: Hummer H2 vs. Tahoe

Let's look at what is similar in the H2 to the Yukon.  A lot of the interior
(seats, DVD/NAV system, a/c, steering wheel, dash cluster, switches) are
shared with the Yukon.  As is the engine/transmission and computer.
According to the Hummer design team, approximately 40% of the parts in the
H2 are shared.  The rear suspension was heavily modified from the Suburban
3/4 ton.  The approach angle is 40.4 degrees with a departure angle of 39.6
degrees.  I have been in a hummer that literally climbed into a loading
dock.

The frame is HEAVILY modified in that it is essentially a 3/4 ton truck
frame in the front and a 1/2 ton in the rear.  However, it is so heavily
modified it is not recognizable as anything on a Tahoe.

The hummer also benefits from major underbody protection that none of the
other's have in the form of skid plates and protective cages.

The front suspension is unique to the H2.  It has a 46mm monotube gas shock
and 35.9mm tubular front stabilizer bar.  The front axle is designed for
off-road use and can cary 4,000lbs.  The dampers are also unique to this
truck with a 40mm center tube (not found on any other GM product)

The transfer case is unique to the H2 with it being a full-time 4WD with
Traction control.

I suspect the brakes are from the 3/4 ton Suburban.

You might as well say the truck is a rebadged corvette, because the engine
is essentially a modified LS6 Corvette engine.

Because it has the same engine/tranny combo and shares some systems (many GM
vehicles do that) I think it is unfair to call it a rebadged Tahoe.  It sure
doesn't look anything like a Tahoe, nor does it share it's dimensions.  GM
put a good vehicle together in record time and was able to do it as
economical as possible with off the shelf components.  I can't fault them
for that.  if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

As you can tell I am a fan of the Hummer.  I have a unique perspective being
the former owner of a 2000 Yukon, and a current owner of a 2004 H2, a 1995
H1 (5.7 l gas engine) , a 2006 Yukon Denali and of course a 1981 De Lorean
(#6859).  I suppose it is like calling a De Lorean a rebadged Lotus
(probably an easier reference then the Air Force One being compared to a
commercial 747).  I am more of a fan of automobiles in general then just
Hummers.  I can't justify a 13MPG hummer in a 65 mile one way commute. An
18MPG Denali is easier on the wallet with the same comfort and less middle
fingers being waved.  But the Hummer has been used numerous times since my
employer  doesn't  accept excuses no matter what weather or national event
has occured, for not showing up at work.  Also, look at how many H1's and
H2's came to the rescue in the hurricane relief. I wouldn't have brought my
Yukon to that event!

Hopefully some subject matter knowledge can go a long way on this issue.
Besides.......what is wrong with the Tahoe/Yukon in the first place?

Nate

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10
Dmc fz1s Delorean part Dml forte

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS