From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of therealdmcvegas
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2005 4:05 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Pre-production car feature: rear lower
spoiler/panel.

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Dore" <dmcjohn@xxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the pre-production DeLoreans (or at least some of the pre-
> production cars), they had an additional fiberglass panel under the
> rear fascia, which would mask the view of the frame of the car from
> behind. You can see it in the following picture
<SNIP>

I don't know how many of these pre-production prototypes were made
with the sliding glass windows, or if there is just a single one.
Because if you look real closely, this appears to be the very same car
that was painted gold, and used in the AmEx advert for the 24K Gold cars.

What catergory does this car fall under? I don't see it listed as a
Pilot vehicle. BTW, does Alistair's car have this trim piece as well?

I'm not too keen on the body kits that the vendors right now are
selling. The big chunky look of the addition mounted to the rear
valences looks REALLY cheap. But there are at least two seperate kits
available that I've seen. The current one with the side intakes on the
rocker panels, and another which is flush on the rockers. Years ago
when  I was a kid, I remember the first DeLorean I saw, and it had a
body kit that was totally flat with no vent holes, but it didn't
gently curve under like this one. I remember it quite vividly, because
the name "De Lorean" was airbrushed onto it with kelly green, and a
Gaelic font.

Who knows why the piece was removed. Could have been a cost cutting
measure, but how much drag do these body kits create? Have any owners
who've installed them noticed a decrease in fuel economy?

I love that rear piece. I could use it to mount intercoolers for a
future turbo engine, and could have a straight shot for airflow, with
a minimal amount of curves in the plumbing...

-Robert

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS