[DMCForum] List admin (was: Cross Reference parts

On 11/11/05, Shannon Yocom <ssdelorean@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Playing "Marc's Advocate"
> (I'd say "devil" but he doesn't believe in him)...
> If Marc was still posting to this list I could hear him arguing that you should
> be reprimanded for doing so even though it wasn't your intent... because you did
> in fact bring up said contraband topic ;-)

Yeah, but here's the thing: If we enforce every little bitty slip,
we'll not only look like assholes, we'll make this place - best valley
girl impression, now - "totally, double plus unfun". I don't want to
be so strict people can't talk. So we have to take these on a case by
case basis.

The rule I intend to use is "general disruption of the list". Anything
that will cause back and forth ranting and fighting, mostly
(especially) politics & religion, is out. If someone puts one line of
politics in an otherwise appropriate post, and if others leave it be
as they should, I'll leave it be. If others respond and it looks like
a debate may ensue, I'll ask everyone to stop.

Now, if the same person is constantly throwing in little political
jabs, or throws in something particularly inflammatory, I'm going to
step in. Just because something sneaks by a few times doesn't mean you
can make a habit of it.

Also, I like it when members participate in this procedure, as you are
doing. The fact that people responded to James and said, "Hey, that's
political!" is great. It means the forum is policing itself and I
don't have to step in and be the bad guy. In the future, if you're
ever wondering why someone didn't "get in trouble", it's because the
members put an end to the discussion by not adding fuel to the fire.
My only reason for being a moderator here is to end inappropriate
discussions. If the discussion ends itself, I don't need to moderate.
Simple as that.

--
- Ryan

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10