From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Ryan Wright
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 3:29 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] Arrested Development petition...

On 11/12/05, Jack Stiefel <jackstiefel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Now hold on one min there.  While I am sure Firefly is/was a superb show
(I
> still need to see the movie), but Trek is an institution....  Lets not
live
> in an altered reality there.

Cue the big giant nerd discussion:

;-) Want to know why I fell in love with Firefly? Character
development. Trek is superb, don't get me wrong, but I fell in love
with the Firefly characters more than I ever did with Trek.

I'm weird, though. I really enjoyed Voyager. In fact, I think it's one
of the best Treks next to TNG. Might have helped that I didn't see a
single episode until about a year ago, when I watched all 7 seasons
back to back over a period of a couple of months. Oh, and I can't
stand DS9. I gave it half of the first season before giving up. My
wife teases me that Trek is a space soap opera; DS9 might as well have
been "Days of our Lives." I don't see the "soap opera" in other Trek,
but I sure saw it in DS9, and it drove me crazy.

I also loved the first two seasons of Enterprise. Other than the "time
wars" BS, the rest of the episodes were excellent. Season three
sucked, I don't think a show should spend more than 2 episodes on a
single plot. An entire season was just unbearable. By season four I'd
lost interest and when the alien Nazis showed up it was too much to
handle. Eventually, I went back and watched the rest of season four
and there were some great episodes - but nothing approaching the first
two seasons. I mean, the entire show is set early in our space faring
history. We're supposed to be casually exploring, making friends,
making enemies, but generally being klutzes. I think seasons 1 & 2
captured this well. By season four we were more "bad ass" than I felt
we should have been.

--
- Ryan