From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of usndmc
Sent: Tuesday, November 08, 2005 12:57 AM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: Possible alternator trouble and more

Mike and Chris,

Upon having light and waiting for the engine to cool down so I could
stick my hands in there, the belt had come considerably loose
compared to how it was 3 days ago. I guess it was progessively
working itself loose over the course of the month? Anyway, I
tightened that again and indications are more normal. Although,
after tightening the belt and running the engine and then shutting
it down and looking at the belt again, the parts I can see now have
a few places where some of the teeth are rather worn down. The belt
was brand new when I put it on with the alternator a month ago. My
water pump is still the original, could the pulley on that not be
rotating as freely as it ought to and causing extra wear on the belt
maybe? I'm still not sure how the high idle fits into all that
though; I'll have to wait and see if it is still high tomorrow.
Hopefully the belt retains proper tension now. Thanks for your
timely advice guys!

Dave -- still 18.5 years until I can be USNRET

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mike clemens <rmclemns@xxxx> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> If you haven't already, check your belt.  If it is
> fine, then I say put the Motorola back on.  I don't
> know for sure, but the new alternator may have a
> triode system and one of them may have gone bad.  That
> happened on my Caviler one time and it is drivable for
> a short distance, but it is not doing the battery any
> good with the undercharge.
>
> Mike    TPS     1630
>
> PS:  USNRET

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10