[DMCForum] Re: Turbos

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Josh Porter" <joshp1986@xxxx> wrote:

> I know this comes up alot but I could not find the answer I was looking
> for in the archives.
>
> Other than the Legend turbos, are there any other brand of turbos that
> fits on the PRV6? I'm not wanting one right now but would like to have
> a twin turbo situp in the future.
>
> Josh
> 10989

There are the Island Twin Turbos, but while they're are powerful, it's
a crappy desgin IMO. On that car, the turbo charges sit between the
throttle plates, and the intake manifold. So let's say you're stomping
on the engine hard, and the turbos are running boost. The air passages
after the compressor are under pressure, which is normal. BUT, let's
say you took your foot off the gas pedal. Now the turbo units are
under Vacuum, which is not a good thing. The vacuum will break the
seals on the turbo, and allow oil to slowly seep out. Which is why
some turbo charged DeLoreans with the Island kit have black exhaust
pipes. It's not any internal damage to the engine, just a problem with
the seals breaking.

With the Legend design, the throttle plates would close, and cut the
vacuum off from the turbo units. So you didn't really have this
problem. Many late modem VW TDI cars have this same problem. Except on
their cars, they also have to contend with diesel exhaust, so their
entire intake manifolds clog up. Just something to think about if you
decide to design your own system later on...

Otherwise, there is also a single turbo unit as well. But it's another
design that places the unit between the intake manifold, and the
throttle plates. For those, they've always looked the same to me. A
welded flange on the turbo, and it mounts in place of the Catalytic
Converter. The oil feed is tapped directly off the block on the
drivers side, and is driven by the interal engine oil pump.

I probably won't get to install the turbos I bought for at least
another couple of years. But I picked up a couple of IHI RHB-5 units
from some Ford Probes. These are almost the same ones that Legend
used. I say almost the same, because these are also water cooled. The
impellers are visably different too. And on the one unit, I can twirl
the tubine with a single finger, and the compressor will actually blow
a slight breeze out.

-Robert

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS