[DMCForum] Re: JOSH'S CAR--UPDATE!!

Actually how water reaches the area around the fuel pump is another
wonderful fault of design. The drainage vent located just in front
of your windshield on the passenger side directly dumps right behind
the fuel pump. So anytime your car gets wet, or you wash it, you
have water pouring over your fuel boot area. :-)

Make sure that hose clamp around the fuel pump itself in the boot is
DAMN tight si if water ever did get down in there it wouldn't mkae
it past the pump. But of course make sure the main hose clamp that
snugs the rubber cover over the fuel lines and the fuel boot itself
is seated all the way down, and the clamp is holding it tight.

As an example I had just replaced the fuel pump boot & cover on
16851 in November of 04'. This summer when I was painting my trunk
area and was removing parts & pieces I noticed the rubber boot had
come loose. And I had a small amount of standing water around the
sides of my new fuel pump. But the seal around the fuel pump was
tight enough to keep it from going into the tank. (Whew!)

Mind you I had tightened it to the point of being afraid of breaking
the hose clamp because of a similar issue with #2524 a few years ago/

It seems like on these new boots that are made out of a glossier or
smooth rubber tend to even slip off when tightened with a death grip.

So to make sure it wasn't as smooth to slide off again I ruffed it
up inside the top cover with some 400 grit sandpaper to make sure it
has a good seat on the boot now. After retightening it with the grip
of death again, it has not moved a bit.

So even if your boots are new make sure the seal itself doesn't
slide around or move before you button up the spare tire access
cover. If your really anal you can always put a small amount of
silicone around the two fuel hoses the poke through the top boot
cover to really make sure the pump stays dry so when the air vent/
drain vent showers it with water anytime the car gets wet, you can
know your fuel pump & tank isn't exposed to the elements.

Also a good tip for anyone who hasn't done it is to put some kind of
mesh over the drainage hole under your window cowl (if you ever have
it out) to prevent the drain from being clogged with leaves
helicopters, berries, and other various debris. If you ever had to
clean a clogged nasty vent, then it will be worth it. Keeps the crap
out of the fuel pump area as well.

I used a black rustproof screen, and you cannot even tell it is
there, just keeps your vent from clogging up, especially this time
of year with all the falling leaves.

Well, that post ended up longer than I expected.

Later,

Joe O'Brien

2524,
16634,
16851

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Lauren" <LPLand@xxxx> wrote:

> Mike & Josh --
>
> I was hoping that your post was going to end with a "VROOM" from
> Josh's car :((
>
> FWIW, my fuel pump was totally rusted on the top before I replaced
> it, but it always worked.  I assumed that water somehow got into
> the boot  from leaky weather stripping and settled deep down in
the
> spare tire well.
>
> And I finally have my car starting easily by nudging the fuel pump
> pressurize the accumulator.  The diaphragm is probably shot, but
for
> now this works just fine.
>
> Good luck!!!

> > A special thanks to Lauren and Bob for their
> > suggestions on the electrical problem. Josh and I
> > will undoubtly be back for more help in the weeks to
> > come. With a bit of luck, maybe the next session will
> > see the engine running under it's own power. :-)

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS