Re: [DMCForum] Re: 400HP?

My new business partner Dan Shane is very experienced (and well
connected!) with Lotus, and we're uncovering some interesting
engineering solutions regarding the suspension and brakes. After
watching our friend Chris  Hawes deliberately pushing his D sideways  on
the track at Donington, we both agreed that with performance must come
better handling and brakes. And there's absolutely no reason why the D
shouldn't hande as well as an Esprit. There're insteresting  stories
regarding the Vauxhall VX220 vs the Lotus Elise, which are basially the
same car, yet the Elise handles better, and it's due to a possibly
deliberate alteration in the spring length on the VX220. I wouldn't go
as far as to call it sabotage, but Lotus are renowned for looking after
their own interests even when someone else is paying the bills. Sound
familiar?

Just remember when out and out hp figures are quoted, the PRV never
looks great. Until you put it up against something else. Look at the
performance stats of an Alpine A610 to see what I mean. It's "only" got
250hp.

The biggest "problem" IMO with the Renault turbos is a vicious rev
limiter at 6000rpm - it just hold it on the line when the engine just
wants to go higher. but knocking it up a cog drops you strait back into
the sweet spot for max torque. I've not been out in an A610 but I have
been in a GTA running a factory 8psi of boost. Now bearing in mind
that's supposed to be the max for an aftermarket turbo on a D, and the
GTA is only a 2.5, all I can say is they're worlds apart. The GTA is a
truly rapid car. And worth about a quarter of a DeLorean!

Interestingly though, three of us drove back to Dan's house from a show
which took us about 3 miles along country lanes. Two GTA Turbos in tow
and they had trouble keeping up. All the cars in question have been put
back to euro spec and that gives us buckets of torque.

Martin

Ryan Wright wrote:

> That makes sense. I'd like to see somebody do this. Heck, I may do it
> myself some day. Nothing improves my day quite like eating a Viper for
> lunch. In a DeLorean, it'd be that much more fun.
>
> -Ryan

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10
Dmc fz1s Delorean part Dml forte

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS