Re: [DMCForum] Transaxle Upgrade and Moddifications.

Re: [DMCForum] Transaxle Upgrade and Moddifications.

First things first, the DeLorean transmission is not a UN1 - it's a 369.
The difference is that a UN1 has seperate links for crossgate and
selector. The DeLorean's has s single lever and it's designed to be
shaft operated. We have a much better gearchange, as long as all the
shift rod bushes are good, and the pivot bolt is tight, than an Esprit.

The Renault A310 gave the DeLorean its transmission, and its crank case
- the 360-01 and 03 boxes (if memory serves).

http://www.delorean.co.uk/lemans/DSCN1939.JPG

Unlike the engine, they still have their Renault numbers on them. This
includes the 3.44:1 final drive which is common to the Esprit and all
the Alpines. The Esprit has a much more powerful engine, and the Alpines
have smaller rear wheels!. There are a collection of ratios available
for every gear however the most important ratio is the final drive, or
diff.

I have two Renault 30 gearboxes complete with 3.8:1 final drive. This
ratio is also found on the 25 V6 and 25 V6 Turbo. I would agree that
reassembling your casing with the internals for another box is the best
option

Martin

therealdmcvegas wrote:

> Ok. I asked this over on DMC's new tech site, but didn't quite seem to
> get the answer I was looking for. And perhaps someone here could chime
> in with a tidbit or two.
>
> I'm looking to swap out the trans in my car. Not looking to replace
> the Renault UN-1 with another model (I like the shift pattern), but
> rather I want a like trans, with better gear ratios. Preferably from a
> Renault Fugeo, or R17 Gordini.
>
> Since I have to crack the trans open to flip the differential, I'm
> figuring that I may just also go ahead and take the internals from the
> donor trans, and just swap them over into the DeLorean. I have concern
> that while the bellhousing may fit, the chassis mounts, and
> shiftlinkage may not work. The DeLorean is a front loader, and I know
> that the Esprit is a side loader. I have no idea about the rest of
> these cars.
>
> So, does anyone have any experience with these trans, and doing
> something like this? I see no reason as to why I couldn't just take
> the gear sets, and drop them into place with the forks from the stock
> DMC trans. I see no reason why I couldn't do all of this, because the
> UN-1 seems pretty standard all the way around, and should be
> interchangable. But I'm always on the lookout for some tips and hints.
>
> -Robert

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS