From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Ryan Wright
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 12:10 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DMCForum] New poll for DMCForum

Here's the problem, folks: The list is quickly becoming "moderated".
If we wanted a moderated list, we'd go back to the DML, right?

As far as I can tell, there are only two reasons for this forum to exist at
all:

1. To lose the time gap (waiting for messages to be approved by a
moderator) of the DML, providing for faster postings/responses of
problems.

2. To gain the ability to discuss topics that would not be allowed on the
DML.

So which is it? If we create a list of banned topics, we're just a DML
with fast turnaround. What's the point, then?

On the flip side, we could always move the religious & political
discussions elsewhere. A couple of years ago I created a forum for
just this purpose. I was a member of another forum that was heavily
moderated and did not allow religious/political talk (except when such
talk agreed with the moderators' extreme left wing positions; then it
was OK). This "off topic" discussion became so bad they were banning
people left and right and constantly threatening everyone, so I
created a forum specifically for this type of discussion. The idea was
to move the "unwanted" discussion somewhere else. Interestingly, after
creating this forum I was permanently banned.

Anyway, I see no reason why we couldn't ban political & religious talk
here and let those who want to continue discussing it come to my
place. We're just a little gang of Home Theater geeks so DeLorean
owners would fit right in.

So: http://www.afterhourslounge.com

The other option is to just create another Yahoo groups mailing list...

One more: If we do ban politics and religion, let's not go overboard.
That other forum would have considered a polite discussion on nuclear
technologies "political" and banned everyone involved in the
discussion. Likewise with any discussion about oil companies, drilling
for oil, environmental concerns, etc. Hell, even Rich talking about
his new EV would have been banned over there for it's political
undertones. So if a ban is implemented, I suggest being extremely
precise in the wording, because blindly banning anything "political"
or "religious" can cut virtually every non-DeLorean discussion right
out of the list. At that point, I personally see no further value
here. If I want strict DeLorean discussion I can get that at the DML.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS