  From: cruznmd
  To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, September 17, 2005 12:30 PM
  Subject: [DMCForum] Re: All people of faith are dumb, and so am I apparently.

  Is that what you call it Marc, a "difference of opinion"?

  I've just been called "dumb" by a young girl whose life experience
  is probably limited to mid-west America and New Jersey who's never
  even met me just because I have faith.

  I don't sign my posts with "Jesus is Lord", I don't proselytize and
  I support your right to decide not to follow a faith and I sure as
  hell don't make fun of people who make that decision or make blanket
  statements regarding athiests/agnostics or whatever.

  To me, that wasn't a difference of opinon. It was a slap in the
  face. It's exactly the same as being lumped into the same catagory
  as "rednecks" and "hon's" and caucasian modular-home refuse by Mike
  Pack simply because I sometimes attend parking-lot cruise-in's. He's
  met me twice for 5 minutes. We don't have "civil discourse" here.
  It's venomous and denigrating. I try to keep my mouth shut but I'm
  torn between wanting to rise above it, and outrage at being
  indirectly insulted and slandered by many posts that pop up here.
  Sometimes I feel like I have to defend myself even though I haven't
  been directly named.

  It's so much safer to make insulting and stereotyping statements
  than to call someone by name isn't it? You people might as well just
  say "Rich is dumb white-trash because he goes to cruise-ins and uses
  religion as a mental crutch because he believes in a God, and he
  doesn't have a college degree."

  Personally, I don't feel that 10% mutual interest in something as
  trivial as a car is enough to overcome the other 90% contempt
  someone has for me because of my personal views. Why would I want to
  associate myself with such people?

  As far as institutes of "higher education" enlightening people to
  the fact that there is no god, I think what Flavia was trying to
  convey, is that often religion is used as a mental crutch by -some-
  weak minded people who need someone to tell them what to do with
  their lives. I agree, BUT I contend that a college education does
  not eliminate this character flaw. ANY organization could fill that
  void in a weak person's life, including belonging to a protest group
  at a college. What if I said that Flavia was weak-minded and needed
  to get her self-fulfillment by belonging to a group of bigoted
  people who trash people of faith? I doubt she'd enjoy being stereo-
  typed by me very much that way.

  I'm almost 34 years old and I have visited at least 10 foreign
  nations, I have served in a combat zone, I have stood on the polar
  ice pack at the North Pole conducting science experiments covered by
  National Geographic, and I have -life experience-. I'm so sick of
  large groups of late-teen and early 20-something's who've barely
  been out of their hometowns screaming that they know what's best for
  me just because they watch CNN and because they are attending an
  institute of "higher learning".

  That's why I'm done with the social functions.

  Rich A.

  --- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxx> wrote:
  > With people who have different opinions on various
  > topics of discussion?

        Dmc fz1s  Delorean part  Dml forte