[DMCForum] Re: Katrina Thread

Not to step on any toes, but I would like to clear up any confusion.  After 9/11,
FEMA became subordinate to DHS for all intents and purposes
administratively ONLY.  While it is true that DHS and FEMA worked (and
continue to work) together on terrorist incident response plans, FEMA itself is
still an independent organization that basically still functions the same as
before 9/11.  And even though a terrorist event and a natural disaster,
depending on the situation, might be seen the same to most people as far as
scope of damage, lives lost, etc...I can tell you that they would most definitely
be dealt with in totally separate ways.  For example, if terrorists had
detonated a nuclear bomb in New Orleans, there wouldn't be all these search
and rescue missions.  Rather it would probably most likely involve cleanup,
containment, and retrieval of bodies (since a catastrophic event like that at the
epicenter would leave almost no survivors and outlying regions would still be
contaminated by fallout/radiation).  Just my take, but what do I know? :P