[DMCForum] Re: Atlanta gas prices...

Greg,
   I live in Atlanta, and at about 3:15 today this guy was going
around at work, telling everyone that if they needed gas, they better
go, because all the stations would be closing at 4:00 p.m.
I was skeptical, but I really needed gas myself (had about 1/3 of a
gallon at best) and so I went and put in half a tank.  The QuikTrip
closest to my work was charging 2.79, and the lines were going out to
the street.  It was ridiculous.  Literally, I could not wait for the
line (my car was about to run out of gas) and so I drove to the Texaco
around the corner, where it was 2.99, and no line.  Yeah, I paid a bit
more so that I could get gas before my car died.  5 minutes later, I
passed by that same QT, and the price went up 10 cents to 2.89.
Interesting.  I went back to work, and "went on with my business."  On
the way home later I listened to the radio, and of course all the news
stations were talking about it, and apparently there is indeed a
shortage, but not surprisingly the media overhyped it (or probably
some jackass DJ on some radio station).
The governor actually came on and told people not to panic, and to
continue with their normal gassing-up habits, and that the rumor of
not being able to get gas until the weekend was BS.
By 6:00 p.m. there were reports of some stations charging up to $6 a
gallon, I don't know where but it was probably downtown Atlanta.
The QT was still at 2.89 later in the evening.
It's funny, because after all that talk on the radio, the Kroger gas
station I passed on the way home was charing 2.86, and the line was
the longest I'd ever seen.  Literally like in the fuel crisis of the
70s.  I thought, DON'T THESE PEOPLE LISTEN TO THE RADIO??!!
Even if they were waiting simply for the discount, I don't know about
you, but I'm not waiting half an hour or more just to save 45 cents.
Another QT I passed later had no numbers on their sign, and no one was
at the pumps, so I think they actually did run out of gas.

So there you go.  This post turned out longer than I expected, but now
you know my detailed side of the story and experience here in Atlanta.

-Derek L
VIN 5302

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:
> Again, not trying to start rumors.  I think this is gouging, which is
> illegal.
>
> www.mobog.com/pic.cfm?pic=250581
>
> Greg

Dmc Dml Dmc fz10