[DMCForum] Re: Martin's class on basic diesel theory

[DMCForum] Re: Martin's class on basic diesel theory

Ok. Sorry I misunderstood. I think I get it now but I won't
guarantee it. :)

Rich

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx>
wrote:
> cruznmd wrote:
>
> > Martin,
> >
> > Thanks for explaining all of that. I definitely did not know
that the
> > amount of air metered into the engine was constant at all
throttle
> > positions.
>
> That's not what I said. Diesels have no throttles and therefore
air flow
> is unrestricted. The manifold air pressure is near enough constant
at
> one atmosphere (in an ideal world) whatever engine load/speed is.
And
> because air pressure is constant, so too is fuel delivery with
respect
> to throttle position and engine speed. Engine speed sorts itself
out
> because the pump is driven off the cam belt, and throttle position
is a
> valve on the fuel pump controlled by the throttle cable.
>
> Simplicity itself, see?
>
> Full pelt in a diesel is putting enough fuel in to use up all the
> oxygen. Running part throttle basically means running very lean -
> condition in a petrol which results in preignition,
or "dieseling". I
> think that explains it pretty well!
>
> Diesels suit turbocharging for the same reason, and there's a very
> simple mechanical link from manifold air pressure to the fuel pump
> enrich under boost
>
> http://www.johns306.com/guides/turbo_diesel_tuning.php
>
> We all know what the warm up reg on a DeLorean does. On the XUD
diesel
> engine as in the above article, and in my BX, the warm up
enrichment is
> achieved with a piece of thermo-something wire (can't remember the
name)
> but it's wire that contracts when cold, pulling a little lever on
the
> pump. It's worth £12.
>
> Martin

De lorean Delorean part Delorean cadillac

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS