Re: [DMCForum] Martin's class on basic diesel theory

cruznmd wrote:

> Martin,
>
> Thanks for explaining all of that. I definitely did not know that the
> amount of air metered into the engine was constant at all throttle
> positions.

That's not what I said. Diesels have no throttles and therefore air flow
is unrestricted. The manifold air pressure is near enough constant at
one atmosphere (in an ideal world) whatever engine load/speed is. And
because air pressure is constant, so too is fuel delivery with respect
to throttle position and engine speed. Engine speed sorts itself out
because the pump is driven off the cam belt, and throttle position is a
valve on the fuel pump controlled by the throttle cable.

Simplicity itself, see?

Full pelt in a diesel is putting enough fuel in to use up all the
oxygen. Running part throttle basically means running very lean - a
condition in a petrol which results in preignition, or "dieseling". I
think that explains it pretty well!

Diesels suit turbocharging for the same reason, and there's a very
simple mechanical link from manifold air pressure to the fuel pump to
enrich under boost

http://www.johns306.com/guides/turbo_diesel_tuning.php

We all know what the warm up reg on a DeLorean does. On the XUD diesel
engine as in the above article, and in my BX, the warm up enrichment is
achieved with a piece of thermo-something wire (can't remember the name)
but it's wire that contracts when cold, pulling a little lever on the
pump. It's worth £12.

Martin

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS