Re: [DMCForum] Plug-in Hybrid.

On 8/16/05, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yeah but the energy still comes from somewhere
>
> Hybrid cars a fecking pointless. Let's burm petrol to generate
> electricity, to then charge a battery so you can than use that battery
> to power a motor to drive the car. Does anyone else see this as
> strangely inefficient compared to just driving the car on that petrol in
> thr first place?

No. Considering hybrid cars have tiny 4 cylinder engines yet still
manage to have reasonable performance and great gas mileage, I'd say
the system works great. Is it the best arrangement? Nope. But it's
decent, and reasonable.

> Top Gear tested a Prius and found the mileage, even on a long run, was
> considerably worse than a contemporary diesel of similar size, and was a
> damn sight slower and more expensive too.

Popular Mechanics did a side by side test of diesels & hybrids and
came to the conclusion that they're basically equal. A Prius and a
Jetta TDI are both ~$20k. The Prius got slightly better gas mileage -
a couple mpg, nothing major. 0-60 times measured were 10.88 seconds
for the Jetta and 10.73 for the Prius. That's neither slower nor more
expensive. I'd love to see the Top Gear report and find out how they
reached such drastically different conclusions. (Probably compared the
Prius with a tiny European car. You know, I could slap a diesel engine
in a Kia, but that wouldn't be a fair comparison)

Look, I'm not defending the Prius because I have any attachment to it.
Personally, I'd buy the Jetta for the simple fact that I can convert
it to run on alternative fuels. However, I don't believe today's
hybrids are the awful things you're making them out to be. They're
decent cars.

-Ryan

De lorean Delorean part Delorean cadillac

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS