[DMCForum] Re: Plug-in Hybrid.

No, I understand quite well how hybrids work. But there have infact
been quite a few complaints from consumers that they are NOT
delivering the gas milage promised on the sticker. As with the
Insight, they have had people on TV out here complaining that they're
getting worse gas milage, than other econmy cars out there.
Especially because of the whole A/C system issue.

As a long term solution to our energy woes, hybrids are just not the
answer. Just as may people consider 4x4 SUVs specialty vehicles that
no one really needs, so is the same true for hybrids. Unless you live
in the fuster-cluck that is Los Angeles, or NY traffic, they're
underpowered, and not a good value for the money. Highway driving, I
wouldn't own one. And being that I myself am a hard-core DIY'er who
works on my own cars to keep them as long as possible, it's not worth
it either. And batteries for these things ain't cheap either.

There are even reports on peak-platinum that say that we'll exhaust
our supplies for hybrid batteries, long before we run out of fossil
fuels themselves, which we're trying to conserve!

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxx> wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > The air conditioning system on a hybrid car is driven off of the
> > accessory belt in a hybrid car, which is in turn driven by the
engine
> > itself.
>
> This is no longer the case. The 2004 and later Prius runs the a/c
> compressor with a small electric motor; other hybrids will likely
move
> to this as well (if they haven't already).
>
> > So if you drive a Hybrid vehicle, and run the A/C, the hybrid
functions
> > of said vehicle are automaticly disabled, and it is moved by the
> > engine. Thus, they are not feasable vehicles. You need A/C to
cool, and
> > to defrost in cold/humid climates. And hybrid engines do not get
as
> > good gas milage, as their counterparts used in non-hybrid cars.
Don't
> > know the figures for Toyota, but I have seen on the news where the
> > Honda Insight gets worse gas milage than a Civic DX in this
senario.

> > Hybrid cars: Still not the solution to our problems.
>
> It seems as if you don't know a lot about hybrids; your statements
are
> silly and untrue.
>
> Modern hybrid vehicles are moved by both the gas and electric
engines,
> automatically adjusting the input of each depending on requirements
> and available electric power. Just because the engine is running
does
> not mean the hybrid functions are "disabled". The gas engines are
> tiny; they use very little fuel and have very little power. The
> electric engines assist in acceleration, hill climbing, etc. The
> "hybrid functions" are never disabled.
>
> -Ryan

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS