[DMCForum] Re: Top Gear... (myper1995)

You can address me by name -- I always sign every post with both first
and sur.

I never claimed Americans view driving the same way Europeans do. In
fact I have always maintained quite the opposite.

North Carolina -- just one American state (the one in which I live) --
is nearly half as large as the entire country of Germany (40%). North
Carolina also has the dubious distinction of not having a single mass
transit system anywhere within its borders. Of course we view driving
differently than you do. We have to. Driving for us is very much a
necessity.

Take tomorrow night for example: I am going to Fayetteville to see a
movie. That's a 110 mile round trip just to reach the city limits.
Running some errands while I'm up there will surely add 20 or so more.
Driving is very much necessity.

Whenever I visit Louie Golden, that's a 200 mile round trip (again,
just to reach the city limits of Charlotte). Swinging by Jeff Friday's
place adds 60 more. Driving is very much a necessity.

The list just goes on -- Darren Decker's DeLorean get-together last
June was 320 miles round trip. My university is 30 miles from home. A
day trip to the beach is 200 miles. Etc.

That's one reason boulevard comfort is such an advantage. It's also
why we treasure our 60 and 70 MPH speed limits (safely exceeded to 70
and 80).

I'm sure owners in other states can add similar statistics (especially
anyone in Montana!). And if you think North Carolina is big, wait 'til
you hear from the Texas boys -- their state is bigger than Germany and
Great Britain combined!

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "myper1995" <myper1995@xxxx> wrote:
> I've been lurking on this list for some time but I'd like to make a
> comment.
>
> Content22207: Most Europeans, and especially Germans, do not view
> driving the same way Americans do. They see driving as a separate
> activity, one to be enjoyed in and of itself, not necessarily a normal
> part of their daily lives. For many the last thing they desire in an
> automobile are traits the majority of Americans seem to view as
> desirable. The plush, air-conditioned, road isolated, floating on air,
> "lazy boy on wheels" characteristics that drive the American auto
> market are not something shared by much of the world and are not
> considered to be admirable engineering in motor vehicles.
>
> I must say you also exhibit an appalling amount of ignorance about
> many other subjects automotive beyond this one but from what I've read
> you don't respond to facts well. Therefore I see no point in debating
> them with you.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS