[DMCForum] Re: Top Gear... (Greg)

Only removed EGR, smog pump, and the thermactor bank (and the vacuum
canister associated with the thermactor bank). EGR's supposed to help
with fuel economy, but I oppose making an engine breathe its own
exhaust on principle if nothing else. This particular EGR sent signals
back to the engine management computer, so without its rheostat the
computer thought it was wide open and leaned my mixture out too much
(the joys of EFI screwing around with mixture). I tied the rheostat
lines together so now the computer thinks EGR is closed all the time
-- considering it has a pipe plug in its port, it essentially is
closed all the time. I figure the O2 sensor can deal with any
enrichment issues that may cause. Smog pump has absolutely no effect
on an engine (is piped into the exhaust side) other that drag. Its
plumbing however was all in my way (couldn't reach the passenger side
spark plugs). Without the smog pump, there's no need for the
thermactors. Without the thermactors, there's no need for their vacuum
canister. Without the vacuum canister, there's no need for those silly
hard plastic vacuum lines (remaining vacuum lines have been replaced
with fuel line hose).

Plugs look good and fuel economy is comparable to a 2 barrel (15-16
MPG), so I consider the de-emissioning a success. This was the first
time I ever de-emissioned an engine with computer controlled ignition
& fuel delivery so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

I fully agree that there's very little differentiation between
automobile models and even manufacturers anymore. That's one reason I
refuse to buy anything built after the early 80's, Blue Truck
notwithstanding. In the bad old days Fords looked like Fords,
Chryslers looked like Chryslers, GM's looked like GM's, and AMC's
looked like AMC's. Even if you didn't recognize a particular model,
you could tell at a glance who built it. Now, there isn't a dime's
worth of difference between them. Even worse, there's no recognizable
difference between them and foreign manufacturers (which considering
all the corporate mergers aren't so foreign anymore).

One of my biggest complaints is the total lack of care devoted to
exterior styling. In the bad old days great pains were taken to
proportion hoods, trunks, and passenger compartments for visual
effect. Intricate stampings were made with all sorts of lines and
creases. Some body panels were so complicated that they had to be made
in 2 pieces and welded together. Today, styling cues are amorphous and
blobular. You're lucky to have a single crease stamped anywhere on the
car. Hoods and trunks are featureless expanses of very cheap sheet
metal (my Lincolns have been hailed upon many times with absilutely no
effect -- try that with anything built today).

Drivetrains used to be legendary. The same basic engines were in
production for decades (because they were so good): Chevy 350,
Chrysler 318, Ford 429/460, and of course the AMC 232/258. No one is
going to be talking about aluminum power plants even 10 years after.
Aluminum power plants may not even survive 10 years after (hence no
need to talk about them). Cast iron blocks and heads are nothing if
not durable.

Remember when people used to lament white metal (pot metal)? Then came
PLASTIC. Bet those people regret everything they said now. Automotive
plastic has a tendency to commit suicide all at once. Your car reaches
a certain age, then the interior crumbles all around you. My favorites
are Saturns and Grand Am's -- you wake up one morning and discover
that the car blew itself apart while you were asleep. Two kids in my
Youth Group have matching 90's Grand Am's. They worry me to death with
broken knobs, window cranks, door handles, panel vents, etc.

Americans suffer this delusion that just because something is
predecessor. Sometimes this is indeed true (the Intel whatever in my
computer is much more useful than a Z-80). But often the newer model
is crap. I'm still using the same central heat & air unit that came
with my house (1976). People at church have burned through REPLACEMENT
units in that same time. Dimensional lumber used to be yellow pine.
Now, it's all white pine or spruce (which has about the same backbone
as balsa wood). I even noticed at Lowes the other day that moulding is
now made of MASONITE (cardboard). Having just replaced a disintegrated
masonite door at my parents' house I can tell you exactly how well a
cardboard house is going to hold up. Have you heard all the horror
stories from people with plastic intake manifolds on their late model
vehicles? Shoot, the first thing you have to do when buying a new
shirt now is re-sew the buttons!

Ah, the rain is finally letting up, so I'd better go fire up the
boiler in my lawn mower so it will have enough time to build up steam
to cut the grass...

Bill Robertson

>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "timnagin" <timnagin@xxxx> wrote:
> >Not to be particular, but who in their right mind buys an F Series
> >pickup for performance? They're supposed to be working vehicles, pure
> >& simple.
>

> The Lightning, as I mentioned.
>

> >Or at least they used to be -- I'm a little concerned that
> >Ford screwed up by discontinuing the I Beam suspension. And the new
> >automobile inspired interiors don't appear to be nearly as hardy as
> >their predecessors. Perhaps Ford has a suicidal desire to emulate
Chevy.

> Brand loyalty is great, and what the manufacturers and advertising
agencies
> want and rely on, but I think it's displaced these days.  In the
past there
> were many more differences between manufacturers than there are now.
Steel
> is still steel, glass is glass, plastic is plastic, and wire is wire.
>
> Having worked for a major OEM in the automotive industry, I can tell you
> with absolute fact that a lot of the differences in parts these days are
> nothing more than logos, part numbers, and brand names.  So many
parts roll
> of the same assembly line but have different logos and part numbers
stamped
> on per each end user.
>
> When I look at Ford, Chevy, or Dodge these days the only thing I see is
> engineering meeting approvals for the same parts or requests for minute
> changes.  The fact that someone thinks an Escalade is better than a
> Suburban, or a Navigator is better than an Expedition or a Chrysler
Town and
> Country is different than a Dodge Caravan kills me.  Although, the
marketing
> team is getting paid the big bucks to make everyone think there is a
> difference. :)
>

> >The other is a baby at 78,000 miles and only 17 years of age (that's
> >the one equipped with EFI -- still under probation IMHO. I did manage
> >to de-emission it successfully with no ill effects other than a
> >constantly illuminated "check engine" light. Next time I'm in the dash
> >I'll unplug the bulb).
>

> That engine is not running as well as it could be, if you removed
> everything.
>
> Greg

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS