BILL - Re: [DMCForum] Re: Angle Drive Cable

BILL - Re: [DMCForum] Re: Angle Drive Cable

Bill have you ever worked on or seen a speedo cable on a Porsche or
beetle trannsaxel?  I have been around AirCooled VW's for about 16 years
and dont remember seeing them... Now the early cars did use a mechanical
cable the the Tach, but that was quickly replaced with an electrical
pickup it the mid to late 50's for both Porsche and VW.  As far as I
know the AirCooled Beetle speedo was driven by the front wheel till they
ended production just a few years ago.  The early Porsche also used the
front wheel to drive the speedo.  Now Porsche did switch to a trans
driven speedo on the 911 and 912 from about 1965 till  I believe the
early to mid 70's when they switched to electronic.  They had lots of
problems with the speedo jumping and not benign accurate.  Several
people have developed mechanical to digital converters so they can run
newer electronic gages.  But as far as I know all the 356's and 914s had
front wheel driven speedos with no issues for their entire production run.

And for what its worth the VW's dont have an angle drive cause they had
enough room behind the wheel to get a nice large smooth curve into the
cable.  And on my lowered Karmann Ghia I did have a problem with a
jumping speedo due to too tight of a bend and not enough lube.

Andrei

content22207 wrote:

>I most emphatically do *NOT* agree with you. Where do rear engine
>Porsches take off? From the transmission. Where do Doodlebugs take
>off? From the transmission. There's a very good possibility the
>speedometer cables in my front engine Lincolns are even long enough a
>DeLo transmission.
>
>It's just another piece of questionable DMC engineering. The car is
>full of ideas that looked better on paper than they turned out in
>reality.
>
>It's hard to change an engineer's mind once he or she has gotten a
>preconceived notion into it.
>
>That is unless the angle drive was thrown on the car in those last
>minutes rush to production.
>
>Bill Robertson
>

>>--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
>>content22207 wrote:
>>

>>>I can't figure out why DMC didn't take off from the transmission like
>>>99.9% of the world does. It's a tried & true method, used for decades,
>>>that rarely fails.
>>>

>>You can't think of the reason, but you agree with me about the problems
>>of longer cables when just moving the drive/cluster from left to right?
>>
>>Where is the DeLorean transmission vs the instrument cluster? FWIW I
>>have two Renault 30 trannys both with speedo drives on the side
>>
>>Martin
>>

>Yahoo! Groups Links

De lorean Delorean part Delorean cadillac

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS