[DMCForum] Chain Saw Lives

Among the items that had dry rotted was a diaphragm on the side of the
carb that appears to act as a fuel pump somehow (is not mechanically
driven, so it must be driven by air). Obviously I was able to use the
primer bulb (also dry rotted & replaced) to fill the carb with enough
fuel to idle, but as soon as the throttle opened it was sucked dry.

With all my screwing around the poor thing has developed some unusual
operating characteristics. Now, it doesn't want to idle down. You can
calm it enough to climb a ladder by putting on the chain brake and
choking it halfway, but the minute you engage the chain and open the
choke it's Wood Cutting Time (if anyone has some Sequoias that need to
come down, give me a call). I've tightened the trigger spring as much
as possible, and the crazy thing still wants to run about a million
RPM. There are 3 adjusting screws on the side of the carb that I have
no idea how to adjust, and at this point I'm so happy to have the saw
operating again that I'm not going to mess with them until after some
limbs are down or my face is cut off, whichever comes first.

There's also foam that used to be part of the chain oiling system but
now is spit all over my driveway in multiple hard little pieces (as
soon as I engaged the chain it spit them out). In the foam's absence
the oiling system operates EXTREMELY prolifically. I suspect there's a
open tube on the other side of the saw that is just dumping a stream
of oil. No mistaking this chain saw as Bill's -- it operates in a
cloud of blue smoke. Between the RPM's and the smoke (and the oil
slung absolutely everywhere), I am a ecologists worst nightmare.

As soon as the temps drop I am going to try to use the thing. Should
be a true multi-tasking experience (the little tab on the external
choke lever broke, so I've left the top off the saw to reach in and
flip it on the carb itself). If I can do that and engage the chain
without falling off a 20 foot ladder, I should be OK.

On the bright side, it only cost me $11 to resurrect the thing.

Bill Robertson

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS