[DMCForum] Re: Traffic.

Traffic jams do produce more emissions than free flowing traffic.
Take a look at you smog checks on any vehicle put thru the 2-speed
test. Fast idle always shows reduced emissions.

Catalyized cars do NOT produce lower tailpipe emissions. The simply
shift the gas ratios around. A catalytic convertor doesn't filter
100% of all gas, as a certain amount of carbon-monoxide, and hydro-
carbons still escape. Their levels are certainly reduced, but not
erradicated. And still you have Nitrous-Oxide to contend with, and
water.

Now water itself isn't a bad thing of course. But what is bad are the
unnatural levels of Hydrogen gas the catalysed cars produce. Hydrogen
by itself isn't a bad thing. However, in great enough quantities, it
can have negative effects on both global warming, and ozone depletion.

http://www.mindfully.org/Energy/2003/Hydrogen-Harm-Ozone12jun03.htm
http://succ.shirazu.ac.ir/~motor/engin/catc.htm

So while catalytic convertors are good at helping emissions, they are
not the best solution. Only diesel is.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxx> wrote:
> I think he means that traffic jams, produce more pollution than
free
> flowing traffic. So he, who never gets stuck in traffic, produces
less
> than a clean modern car in traffic.
>
> Personally I think this is rubbish. A cat equipped vehicle produces
not
> a lot more than carbon dioxide and water. A de catted car produces
> whole load of other shit
>
> Martin
>
> Marc Levy wrote:
>
> > No argument there.. Traffic does suck, and many
> > decisions are made based on traffic..  Especially
> > living near the Jersey shore, all "locals" know what
> > roads to avoid in the summer.

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS