[DMCForum] Re: Coolant question...

Honestly, it sounds to me like your car is functioning normal. My fans
don't kick on until a little below the 220°F mark on the temp gague.
And it will fall pretty quickly as soon as they come one.

What you've got to keep in mind here is this: Regular water boils @
212°F. Cut it with antifreeze, and you've raised that temperature up
into around the 220's. Then place that coolant mixture into a sealed
system the will not allow it to expand into steam, and you've raised
the boiling point of the fluid to about 245°F.

So yeah, your car is fine. Keep somthing else in mind here too. On
modern cars, manufaturers leave out the temperature marks, and only
color code the gague. Instead of #'s, there is just a red zone on the
end, or an "H" to tell you the car is overheating.

So you're fine, and shouldn't have anything to worry about.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Travis Goodwin" <tgoodwin@xxxx> wrote:
> This is a for real question.
>
> My car seemed to be overheating at lunch today. Within 3 minutes, the
> temp was almost 200 degrees. Despite the high temp, the fans didn't come
> on. That says one thing to me: air pocket.
>
> So, I checked the coolant level real quick and it was indeed low. A stop
> at Advance Auto to top it off and the temp leveled off. I drove it 20
> miles home with the temp level. It got only as high at 160 or so by the
> time I navigated all the traffic.
>
> Do you agree that with an air pocket causing the thermostat to read too
> high, it can seem as if the fans are not working correctly because the
> coolant temp is not high enough to trigger the otterstat?

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS