RE: [DMCForum] Re: It's a shame.....

See, I learned something new. I didn't know about DMCHelp.com. Nyah.

-----Original Message-----
From: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of therealdmcvegas
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 11:57 PM
To: DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DMCForum] Re: It's a shame.....

I've never used the message boards over @ Tamir's site, so I couldn't
comment on those. But, let me break down a couple of the boards like
this.

DeLorean Mailing List. aka, "The DML":
This is the main list that started it all. As it's mantra says, it's
for owners to socialize together, and promote The Car, The Man, and
The Company. Primarily, it's purpose is to be a central focus point
for owners, and enthusists to communicate together. It helps to
educate the curious about the three subjects, as well as ask
speculative questions, etc. And because there is such as diverse # of
people out there, including young adults who subscribe, so it really
needs to be monitored for this, as well as misinformation that may
come along. And of course due to the fact that conversations tend to
wander off, and segway into completely different subject matters that
have nothing to do with the original subject, the moderators help to
keep that in check as well. But primarily it is intended to be the
main focus point for those who are interested in the 3 DeLorean
subjects. Everything DeLorean usually starts for people like myself
with the DML. We learned lots there, and continue to post, and help
out others with what we've learned. Be it events, historical knowlege,
insurance quotes, social interactions, etc.

DMCHelp.com:
This is the new technical website started by the 4 main DeLorean
vendors in the US. DMCH, P.J. Grady, DMCGG, & DMCF. This is meant to
be a tech-only site for those who wish to get down to the nitty-gritty
of DeLorean repair and maintenance. I also suspect that this is to
really help out a 4 vendors by inspiring loyalty amongst posters of
question, when they are answered by actual vendors and professional
mechanics. So far, it's off to a great start, with both James Espy,
and Warren down in Houston answering questions in a 24hr turn around
time. And best of all, it's forums are sub-divided by Workshop manual
questions. So if you've got an electrical question, you can go into
the electrical section, and reduce your search to only that section.

Hopefully, the DMCHelp.com project will work out. The technical
library section on the DML is great for when it comes to reading up on
specific proceedures. However, it's limited to only what people are
willing to contribute to it. DMCHelp shows promise, but I'd really
like to see those other vendors get in on the project, and actively
participate. Especially with questions that pertain to non-stock
configurations. And we'll have to wait untill the proverbial
'honeymoon' with a new website is over, and ensure that the Vendors
all maintain their online presence there as well. But like I've said,
it does show some great potential.

DMCForum (this list):
The DMCForum is like an after hours bar. It's kind like when I went to
the Open House event in Houston. After the banquet and events were
over, many stayed up way past their bedtimes, and hung out at the bar.
And just here, as it was there, you're gonna hear allot more, shall we
say, *colorful* conversations, than you would have at the formal
events. People here are more apt to speak their minds. If you compared
my past DML posts to my present DMCF one's, you'd probably swear that
it was two seperate people writing my words in some cases. Mainly,
we'll discuss DeLorean specific topics, or at least ones that are
related to the DeLorean somehow. Mostly things that would be frowned
upon on the DML, such as carbureting the PRV engine. Believe me, I
have seen people flamed FAR WORSE on the DML for posting things like
that, than would ever happen here. Let me give you an example. Take a
look at this picture:

http://dmcnews.com/potm/carcovers%20(3).JPG

I remeber when that got posted, and Rich was yelled at by MANY purists
who said he was ruining the cars, and called him every name in the
book. And all he did was post that picture. He didn't drive the cars
in the snow. He just parked them outside, and a freak snowstorm buried
them. But he caught holy hell from MANY purists. So don't believe that
this list is worse than the DML, or other forums. In fact, Thomas
McCoy himself can tell you about the shitstorm that he encountered
when he made a post to the DML about installing an airscoop onto the
roof of his car. In fact, was there anyone else other than myself at
that time who agreed with you that it would be a good idea, Thomas?
Far worse has happened on the DML, but was moved off onto e-mail
exchanges so you wouldn't see it. Kinda like steak. Sure it looks
nice, but theres a helluva lot behind the scenes that goes on that you
wouldn't know about.

The Forum here has been a great place to carry "off-list"
conversations that would not be permissable on the DML, due to
whatever reason. The doesn't fit into the topics, a certain moderator
doesn't want to continue it on, etc. Many conversations here on this
list have been pretty informative and insightful. However, right now,
we pretty much have a barroom brawl that's dying down. It's certanly
not the norm, but it is a growing pain.

My great grandfather used to run a carnivale, as was in the circus
before that. At one point, he got in a shipment of about 10
Chimpanzees for an act. Before they could be trained, they had to be
broken in by a pecking order. So there was this large cage on the back
of a trailer. He put in a large supply of food and water. Then he let
all the apes into the cage, closed the door, and threw a canvas cover
over the cage and walked away. For 3 days and nights solid, those damn
apes faught. You could hear them moaning, yelling and screaming at the
top of their lungs. At the end of the third day when they queited
down, he pulled the canvas off. Bloodied, bruised, beaten, and covered
with bite marks, the chimps where there. But they had become docile
because of the pecking order established. There may have been
skrimishes and a couple screams if the disagreed on something after
that. But they never truly faught again. And that's what we've had
here. No, not in the sense that anyone here has "learned their place",
or that anyone has risen to the top of something. No, we pretty much
have all become exhausted from this fighting, and will be a bit more
wiser for the wear if something like this arose again. The chances
that we'll ever see anything this intense again have been greatly
reduced by this argument.

Don't just throw you hands up in the air. Stick around, and I'm sure
that you'll be surprised by what you see. A forum functioning as
intended.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "howardeskinjr" <howardeskinjr@xxxx>
wrote:
> This board is truly a waste of time.  I have yet to read a post that
> has been insightful.  I must say I am disappointed in the type of
> folks that haved invested in delorean.  Most people only have
> something negative to say about someone elses car.  I am guessing that

> O'Brien and Snextime are good friends.  Snexttime added "their ain't
> no way thats 725 miles"  but nothing else.  Thanks for another asshole

> statement.  I guess I should believe that the owner drove the car and
> never had it inspected and didn't register it since 85.  Give me a
> break.  You guys are dopes and I for one am signing off from this
> amateur hour.  I have a GN and an 89 trans pace with the 3.8 and the
> boards I chat with are much different.  Good luck to the biggest bunch

> of losers I ever meant.
> John never intended to build such a fine car for a bunch of dopes like

> this.
> RIP JZD
>
> Howard

Yahoo! Groups Links